Valid email for GasResearch in Australia

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
schwoch1

Valid email for GasResearch in Australia

Post by schwoch1 »

Anyone have a valid email or a contact at GasResearch in Australia? Looking to pick their brains a bit on their carburetor setup. With the huge time difference between us and them it makes calling them a bit of a pain.

Thanks in advance
Mike
1967 GMC 2500, 351 V6, soon to have 430 Buick with propane

storm

Re: Valid email for GasResearch in Australia

Post by storm »

gra@gasresearch.com.au should get them
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

schwoch1

Post by schwoch1 »

Thanks Storm, I appreciate it.
I am looking for a higher performance LPG carburetor for my latest build. Last time I used an impco 425 and wasn't happy with the performance of the unit, seemed to choke the engine for air. Their carburetor setup seems better for high performance setups!

Mike

storm

Post by storm »

They can be fiddly things to setup Mike. I love mine on my Ecotec V6 but there is still, after more than 10 years, a flat spot just after idle tip in that I am unable to get rid of. It only occurs under load. They desperately need a progression circuit adjustment that is easier to do than pushing a brass jet down a hose.
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

schwoch1

Post by schwoch1 »

Is there any info out there on them besides what is on their website, which is fairly limited?

My target engine is a 460 cubic inch stroker Big Block Buick V8 engine, decent cam, aluminum heads, headers, and aluminum intake of unknown origin as of yet going in a 1967 GMC 3/4 ton pickup truck. I am somewhat committed to running propane, now I just have to figure out the logistics of it. I ran an Impco 425 on a GM engine years ago, and it seemed to hold back the engine quite a bit, I should of used 2 but ended up switching to EFI and ditched the propane setup. We have an engine dyno so I will be able to get a HP number off the engine and do some power tuning on the carburetor setup at that point, whatever it may be!

Mike

storm

Post by storm »

Not really, there may be some YouTube clips but I've never seen any.
They take time to learn how to setup and the only way to learn is by doing it hands on. For a Big Block Buick I'd use 2 500 cfm units setup so that they are staggered. Having said that if you could get a dual quad manifold for the Buick I'd probably go for 2 425s instead.
Get yourself some good dataloging equipment so you can read AFR (or preferably Lambda), RPM, TPS, MAP (and/or MAF), and Road Speed. You'll be able to tell, especially with MAP readings, if the engine is being held back or not because of airflow.

jono

Post by jono »

I hope you find them still in business as many suppliers have closed their doors here in Australia or no longer trade in log gear.Talking to a former Elko supplier only yesterday chasing an injection converters filter service kit. Sorry. And he also explained why so much pipe sealant all over things - doing its best to seal liquid pressure or not in this case
Sounds like you experienced a lean bog with your Impco gear and like most stuff can also take some tinkering to discover some tuning tips such as I did defying everything I had read, learner and practised for decades. by fitting an 1800 cc flat four with a 200 mixer and an L converter. It unleashed better drivability and economy especially when I got the 85 hand flow rated diaphragm in AV1-2 in place of the rich 104 that came with the 200

schwoch1

Post by schwoch1 »

Well, after waiting 10 days for Gas Research to get back to me, I have to assume that they are out of business or not interested in selling to me. I have found this to be fairly accurate across the board when dealing with LPG items. Once you mention that the part is not for a forklift or a propane fueled generator, most suppliers will not deal with you and become quite hostile,which is hardly the way to further LPG as an alternative fuel. Luckily, I was able to order some Impco 425's off eBay from Nash Fuels so I have to wait for them to come to move on!

I have been trying to chase down a fuel tank for my project with almost no luck unfortunately. When you call up Manchester, Sleegers, Worthington, they want nothing to do with you and refer you to a retailer. When you call the retailer, they want nothing to do with you because your project is a 'non certified' combination and they won't sell to you because of 'liability or EPA concerns'. Kind of hard to further the cause when you won't sell parts to anyone. Now I know why everyone uses forklift tanks, because they literally cannot get anything else to use. Hell it even extends to fueling the vehicle, as most places haven't a clue how to fill anything except 20 lb BBQ cylinders, or you have to drop the vehicle off for a 'few hours' and they will get to it when they can, which is hardly convenient or practical!!! My project is a 1967 GMC 3/4 ton pickup truck with a Buick 430 cubic inch V8 engine, I am fairly positive there are no certified combinations out there for this oddball!!!

I am sure this may only be an issue in the US, or maybe just my area of the country, or hell maybe it's just me!! I could very easily throw an 850 Holley carburetor on this truck and scrap the whole propane idea, which is surprisingly what several suppliers have told me to do. I don't want to do that, it would be too easy. Propane has always intrigued me as a fuel and I am going to pursue it irregardless of the roadblocks that are thrown out to me!!!

Sorry for the rant, I needed to vent about this for a while!!!

Mike