Forum Repairs

Look here for announcements. Please make comments and ask questions about the board here too.
Frank
Site Admin

Forum Repairs

Post by Frank »

Over the past week, I've been trying to resolve a problem with a table that repeatedly becomes corrupted. I will likely take the forum offline tomorrow (Tuesday, May 12) to work on it. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

Frank
Site Admin

Re: Forum Repairs

Post by Frank »

I've upgraded to the latest version of phpBB with this repair. The software seems to be working fine and has a few minor changes to its appearance and functionality. Let me know if you experience any problems.

storm

Post by storm »

It does look different and I thought that was a problem until you said it was supposed to.
It seems to be loading properly now, the issue I reported last week has gone (on this particular laptop anyway).
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

It seems that the database table issue was not fixed by this upgrade. The corrupted tables won't stay fixed so we are now going to rebuild the database. I'll likely be taking the forum offline again and I hope the rebuild won't take very long.

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

The new posts unanswered posts your post links have disappears from the tool bar when logged in
This is a coding change... from memory a .tpi file(s) ???
My Spelling is Not Incorrect...It's 'Creative'

storm

Post by storm »

@Steptoe. There is a notification "bell" in the page header next to Private Messages. I need my glasses on to see it but it is there to tell you there are new posts.
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

This version of phpBB works slightly differently than the previous version. Besides the notification bell as noted by Storm, there is a notification that appears in the browser tab and seems to be similar to FaceBook's notifications. I'm learning how to use it just like you.

As for the coding changes, there are none. The upgrade involves the upload of totally new clean code except for 4 directories and files along with a script to upgrade the database. Features are added through extensions rather mods (modifications of the source code).

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

Quick links on the left has combined the old links that where across the top
Think thats another programmer/coder making changes for the sake of making changes
before logged in , links appear. 1 click latest posts since last visit
Now click on quick link, get drop menu click on what one wants....
Also...
To me anyway.. logically when one re visits, it is the latest posts/ threads one wants to see... not just replies... that are included in latests posts.... from there one simply adds any threads one wishes to subscribe to, if need be, but if use latests posts links there is no need to anyway unless trolling a thread

I messed/ moded this coding some years back....
Somewhere have the the notes file with line line and code that changes it.

BigBlockMopar

Post by BigBlockMopar »

On the forums I'm running, I've added an extra 'Active Topics'-link right next to the 'Quick Links'-menu item.
Then just bookmark the 'Active topics'-link for easy access and view of the new replies and topics at every visit.
https://www.bigblockmopar.com
'73 Dodge Dart - 360ci - 11.3:1cr
MegaSquirt + HEI 7-pin timing control - Edelbrock AirGap - Cold Air Intake
IMPCO E / 425 mixer - A518 OD-trans - 3.55 gears - 225/50/17" tires.

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

I normally just use the "New posts" link to see what's new. I actually just keep a tab open and refresh the page periodically.

The "Active topics" link is within the "Quick links" menu. If you're going to bookmark that link, did you just add a new menu item for convenience?

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

I have found my notes and stuff what changes what etc I mentioned above
Havnt gone thru them to find what u are looking for....
So u will have to go thru the notes stuff... and will most proberly find a lot of other interesting custom coding as well
Its about 30 meg
will PM the download link to u

BigBlockMopar

Post by BigBlockMopar »

Frank wrote:The "Active topics" link is within the "Quick links" menu. If you're going to bookmark that link, did you just add a new menu item for convenience?

On my forums I copied the 'Active topics'-code in overal_header.html and placed it outside the Quick links-menu (div) structure in the same file.

PS.
There's an error when uploading an image attachment.
Maybe the upload or files folder in the root directory doesn't have write-access permissions?
https://www.bigblockmopar.com
'73 Dodge Dart - 360ci - 11.3:1cr
MegaSquirt + HEI 7-pin timing control - Edelbrock AirGap - Cold Air Intake
IMPCO E / 425 mixer - A518 OD-trans - 3.55 gears - 225/50/17" tires.