Franz's email ?? sending phishing !!

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
jono

Franz's email ?? sending phishing !!

Post by jono »

Franz and friends, I just got an email from Franz's email address with a link to iditinhonline or some site, complete with a warning it may not have come from Franz and to report phishing.

I clicked on it and survived, Franz looks like some weight loss scheme is using your address book !

franz

Re: Franz's email ?? sending phishing !!

Post by franz »

Hey guys, yes I am losing weight, about 30 lbs, but its due to South Beach diet, not some lame Russian hacker that got ahold of my address book! If anyone was offended, I apologize, now lets go after the hacker!

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

Nothing here and nothing in my spam
just because it appears it comes from a particular addy it doesnt mean it has.
My Spelling is Not Incorrect...It's 'Creative'

storm

Post by storm »

Steptoe wrote:Nothing here and nothing in my spam
just because it appears it comes from a particular addy it doesnt mean it has.
If you are talking about the actual person then yes you are correct, if you are talking about the persons email address then sorry but you can indeed be incorrect with some spam.
Once a spambot has got in they don't need your PC turned on they can, and do (I've had it happen to me a few times with my old hotmail address), send spam through your email address from anywhere in the world. There is discussion going on right now on how to strengthen email security after it is alleged that 1.5 billion passwords were stolen
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

Yahoo mail has had issues over the yrs.
I run my own servers , web mail etc... If I wished I can send out spam mails using another persons email... but doing so will very quickly black list my ips and domains, and only takes a handful... and if u have ever jumped thru hoops to get these reversed....
Most mail servers automatically check all mail from 1 or more of these data bases ....

I still dont have anything , even in spam filters.
And would be interested to know if jono has anynore...

storm

Post by storm »

Many "professional" spammers are in regions of the world that do not care about things like crime against people in other countries.
Many use Tor so they cannot be traced by ISPs, although there is some evidence the NSA may be able to. Note, ISPs do not have the abilities agencies like the NSA do.
I am yet to connect my server to the world, I just have a basic print-file server at home, my website is hosted by a hosting company because my internet connection isn't good enough to self host. Hopefully that will change soon when I get the NBN connected.
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

Once u have a server on the net, things become a huge eye opener as u can access logs that if on a host u cant get to or even know about.. both web and mail
1st thing u will notice is wanting to block whole countries.. China, Brazil, several central and sth American countries most of the eastern block... then a couple isp in Germany, France Sweden and Norway, a few more in the US
Add to that 3 or 4 middle east countries
And not just spam attempts, but hacking, kiddie scripts etc
Apache is easy to block ips in the .htaccess file using CIDR ranges.. and if want whole country ip or isp ranges to allow or deny, they are on the net to

I run all open source.. Apache, php, mysql, netpbm phpnuke with phpbb2 forums same as here
hmail server with squirrel mail integrated with custom built web mail.
All on its own partition separate to the OS partition.. and automatically run full backups of the partition every 12 hrs to a remote backup... about a gig compressed.
Server has been running.. long time.. hang on got to check lol.. coming up 11 or 12 yrs now..

storm

Post by storm »

Thanks Steptoe for your helpful suggestions. I do know what to do but I really do appreciate you taking the time to help out anyway.
I had a server running for a little while (it ran Debian Squeeze when it was first released) but my net connection is atrocious so I decided to do it with a provider until I had a better connection.

You may want to take a look at this page http://cobberlinux.wordpress.com.
Cobber Linux is my Australasian version of Debian. Once I get the NBN connected I'll update my website and PM you a link to that.
Cobber also has a Sourceforge page for its repository (I need to update the repository information cause it is now different).
If you know anyone in NZ that is willing to work on such a project I'd appreciate it if you would let them know it exists.

Anyway that is all off-topic so my apologies to Jono.

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

I have been in IT for 20 yrs.. hate it m8
Does an builder go home and build, a mechanic , mechanic , a electrician electrocute :wink:
So I other than checking server logs etc.. I go fishing in the boat (wind/ swells permitting) , gardens, breed parrots, and classic vintage cars... the latter now mainly just oil changes, maintenance stuff lol
The server just runs...clear access logs every few months when get up around a gig.. thats it.

storm

Post by storm »

Lol, in some ways we are similar in being opposite.
I've been a mechanic for 29 years (yes I would go home and work on the family cars I wouldn't trust others to do a quality job so I did it), and a teacher for 14. I don't enjoy being a mechanic (as an employee), I do like teaching but there are always days adults are worse than kids so I tend to ignore other teachers when they are having an "off day".
I love IT cause it is a (self taught) hobby that gets me away from my daily life. If I could be a hermit and just communicate with the world via the net I'd be as happy as a pig in mud.
I'm lucky now that being a mechanic is no longer a job, it is now a hobby and I do enjoy it like that.

BigBlockMopar

Post by BigBlockMopar »

Nice to see more common interests here.
I run my own VPS with rootbased access for hosting and handle domainregistrations for some 80+ domains mostly for friends.
Working fulltime in a printshop and do cars and hosting as a hobby. I've rolled into hosting and domainreg. because some crook held one of my first domainnames hostage for awhile years ago. After that I started doing everything myself.
https://www.bigblockmopar.com
'73 Dodge Dart - 360ci - 11.3:1cr
MegaSquirt + HEI 7-pin timing control - Edelbrock AirGap - Cold Air Intake
IMPCO E / 425 mixer - A518 OD-trans - 3.55 gears - 225/50/17" tires.

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

If I could be a hermit and just communicate with the world via the net I'd be as happy as a pig in mud.
Couldnt do that, or have the time, facebook stuff is just a time waster and personal data gatherer...
I like real people , real things, real stuff.
Maybe just old school :wink:

My server started in a similar way...a customer wanted to start to run their own servers, so had to then figure out how to 1st (rem I started back in Dos days) so set it up on a PII win 95 .. took a random subject from around here... breeding endangered native parrots...then decided to put on line, a guy from Sth Africa joined, then another while figuring SEO.. then a lot more , next thing an international community had grown within a few days... 'Stuck' with it....regist the domain.
The car club host was messing round.. did that... and grew from there...

storm

Post by storm »

Steptoe wrote:
If I could be a hermit and just communicate with the world via the net I'd be as happy as a pig in mud.
Couldnt do that, or have the time, facebook stuff is just a time waster and personal data gatherer...
I like real people , real things, real stuff.
Maybe just old school :wink:
While I'm not a fan of social media I have to say I have learned much about my conditions through social media. I don't put personal information that can lead people to me online. In general people annoy, the absolute living daylights out of, me. I've met way to many who are untrustworthy and are just in things for their own benefit. At least in a community like this the vast majority are selfless volunteers who genuinely want to help others. While others join and are blow-ins who stay for a short time, argue, create bad blood, and then leave.

jono

Post by jono »

happy to report no more emails from Franzs address book infiltrators. I also clicked on the report phishing for gmail, but phishing seems to constitute attempts made to ask for banking details etc - I just got a link, I hope. Not scratching, not any slimmer either :)