Propane powered VW

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
jrsroadhauze

Propane powered VW

Post by jrsroadhauze »

Has anyone converted a water cooled 1.8 liter vw engine to propane?

franz

carbs

Post by franz »

Yes, I used two Impco series 55 mixers with two Century G-85-A vaporizers. Worked well. The Century G-85-A is out of production now but I think Impco has a suitable replacement.

The G-85-A will provide fuel for about 75 bhp each and need a warm airflow to keep them from icing over. They are an air to liquid heat exchanger.

Franz

C3H8

VW watercooled

Post by C3H8 »

Franz. Why use air cooled regs on a water cooled engine? Model J's or Cobras would work as well and ensure proper vaporization without worrying about air heating.

jrsroadhauze

Post by jrsroadhauze »

Thanks Guys, the car is a 88 VW Cabriolet with a weak 1.8 CIS engine. I have a 86 Golf GTi with 10 to 1 compression ratio and a knocksenser which controls the spark timing via a controller box. I want to completely eliminate the Bosch CIS fuel injection system and run propane only. The stock throttle body is mounted side ways on the intake plenum. I was thinking of fabricating a adapter to use a Impco 200? to the existing intake manifold.the GTi engine is not installed in the car yet so fabrication of parts will be easier. Any ideas would be great.

franz

my bad

Post by franz »

Oops, I dont know what I was thinking, for some reason, I had the flat 4 air cooled engine in my mind.

Back to serious stuff. I think you may find that the 200, although it will run fine on top end, may be a bit oversized for that engine. Its worth a try though. Use the Cobra or J vaporizer, or the L can be adapted as well, its about twice the size of the J.

Franz

alehander

Post by alehander »

A CA100 mixer and J or Cobra reg should be enough for a 1.8; I ran this setup on a 1.6 w/o trouble up to 6000 RPM.

I'd also recommend the mixer->adapter->intake approach, as long as it's a metal adapter & not a hoaky rubber boot.

If you're really adventurous and have good insurance, try plumbing the (liquid) LPG to the CIS distributor in place of gasoline - I disposed of my Scirocco motor this way, and some of the car, too :shock:
Lenin zhil, Lenin zhiv, Lenin budet zhit'