1996 Chevy Caprice 9C1 Dual fuel system help?

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
Rogers9c1

1996 Chevy Caprice 9C1 Dual fuel system help?

Post by Rogers9c1 »

Hey guys I am trying to find out more about who makes the components used in my propane system. Here are some pics of my system. If you want more just let me know

Rogers9c1

Post by Rogers9c1 »

19 views and no comments?

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

Seeing that you posted this question on a Saturday night, I think there might be a chance that many people who could have answered your question might have taken the weekend off.

However, I'll try to answer your question as best I can:
  1. The fill valve is similar to a Sherwood PN PV1855BRCN or PV1855SD.
  2. The black box is likely an Autotronics GM Integrated Processor OBD II, PN 5929.
  3. Fuel tank manufactured by Manchester Tank.
  4. Autotronics GM Injector Intercepter, PN 4112, works with PN 5959 above. PN 4112 is similar to PN 4115.
  5. It looks like the LPG installer mounted an Impco 425 Mixer and a carb hat between the MAF sensor and the throttle valves. It looks like there is an electric fuelock attached to the converter. The can attached to the fuelock is probably a LPG fuel filter.
  6. LPG converter manufactured by OHG, PN X-1, now manufactured by MM or Woodward.

franz

Ok

Post by franz »

The first photo shows the refueling connection, probably a Sherwood filler and cap.

The second photo shows what appears to be an Autotronics DualCurve PN 5924 controller (4 plugs versus 3 for the 5920). The label is missing but I would put 90% on the 5924 or its replacement upgrade.

The third photo shows a Manchester vapor seal tank, commonly used on the Caprice and the Crown Vic.

The fourth photo shows an Autotronic Controls Injector simulator, designed to replicate the signal of the fuel injectors to prevent the computer from signaling an open injector circuit when running on LPG.

The fifth photo shows the underhood layout. From what I can see there is an Impco 425 mixer, an OHG X-1 vaporizer, a K&N air filter with some adapter rubber hosing, the Autotronics idle control solenoid, an AFC 123 fuel lockoff, a Parker Trappit fuel filter, and the vent hose for the optical distributor.

The sixth photo shows the top cover of the OHG X-1 vaporizer, the vacuum connection for the closed loop controller, and the calibrated vent cover over the vent orifice.

Some of these parts are available through third party suppliers, some are not. For example, Autotronics DualCurve is no longer producing alt fuel components but some distributors have have them in inventory.

Franz

Rogers9c1

Post by Rogers9c1 »

Thank you for posting Sorry I am used to Really big forums where people reply quite fast that's all. :D
Now is this a good set up I have here? I just put in some new NGK TR5GPspark plugs I have they gaped at 45 Deg's anything bad about that? I plan on running both fuels as often as I can to keep engine seals from drying up. What parts may need servicing over time? lubed cleaned anything like that? I have been told my electric system need to be top notch for running propane, So what needs to be in Good working order for quick starts in the summer and winter?
Any other photos needed?

Rogers9c1

Post by Rogers9c1 »

Also can some one list or help point me into the right spot so I can learn more about each component's of my system and how they work and what they do Thanks! and how do I know if I need my LPG fuel filter is good or bad?

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

A good place to start would be Franz's very reasonably priced Diagnositic Guide, which is very informative. The Woodward Product Catalog (see Tech Info Section) along with the links I've provided earlier would also be useful.

C3H8

Caprice

Post by C3H8 »

Looks like an old police car out of Ontario. The crucial part of the ignition system on these is the distributor cap and rotor. It is mounted on the driver side front of the engine behind the power steering pump I believe. A real B##** to get at. This distributor cap and rotor had a .100" gap making the plug installation critical as it added another 60 thou. Keep the gap as narrow as you can get away with without affecting gasoline operation. The main issue with the cap is internal moisture. One company actually added a vacuum line to the vent and routed it to venturri vacuum at the base of the mixer to keep air flowing though it and help control moisture in the cap.

Rogers9c1

Post by Rogers9c1 »

its a old cop car from Florida and shipped up here to be turned into a dual-fuel cab, for a few years it was a taxi and then it was parked for parts because the tranny was shot. And I have that vacuum line hooked into my mixer if I unplug it while the car is running the car will stall. Is that ok?

C3H8

caprice

Post by C3H8 »

I don't think that would be normal. We never had any stall when disconnecting the dist, vent line unless yours has another function.

Rogers9c1

Post by Rogers9c1 »

So what would I need to check to help solve this problem?

Rogers9c1

Post by Rogers9c1 »

What is the point of the Spring loaded button on the vaporizer?

alehander

Post by alehander »

Primer
Lenin zhil, Lenin zhiv, Lenin budet zhit'

Mattelderca

Post by Mattelderca »

As stated, a primer or cold start assist. If you find yourself cranking it over for a long time before it starts, push it once.

Rogers9c1

Post by Rogers9c1 »

so I just push it once and it lets more propane into the system?