intercooling propane engines

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
steve302

intercooling propane engines

Post by steve302 »

Hello all,After seeing that mustang on youtube and reading the post about liquid injection I have been thinking about a new project using the same engine as in the mustang,but tamed down a little....well,a lot really :) From what I understand the "holy grail" with lpi is the cooling effect during vaporisation obviously producing denser charge and better power,at the expense of a lot of complexity.In a conventional system this fuel is usually vaporised in the converter using water from the cooling system and the energy wasted...has anyone ever tried using the process to cool the intake air,probably by using an air /water inter cooler system with the converters connected into the water circuit supplying additional cooling? I have no idea of the temp drop of the water passing thru the converter at high power,but I would imagine it would be of some benefit :?:

mscles

Post by mscles »

There was a paper published on this. I have it saved but you can probably find it by searching for "liquid propane injector".

It shows that an engine running on both LPG liquid direct and liquid through a tube compared to gasoline. They did it by measuring temp of air being pumped through the cylinder for the three setups.

Startlingly the latent heat of vaporization of LPG was better than that of Gasoline injection but not by much as the gasoline is still vaporising as well and pulls a significant amount of heat out of the air. Liquid LPG injection through an orifice tube was much less than gasoline, as the LPG was losing it's heat through the tube and vaporizing in the orifice.

So much for the liquid intercooling idea.

If you don't find it I can look up the exact address.

JD