Nitrous and Propane

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
steve302

Nitrous and Propane

Post by steve302 »

Hello all, I know its been asked before,but here it is again...how do I run nitrous and propane? Its obviously possible,but was wondering how the extra fuel supply is managed and what components are used etc, thanks again guys.
Steve

franz

wild ride

Post by franz »

Yes it can but remember that in a petrol vehicle, excess petrol is injected to help cool the mixture to prevent detonation, while on a gaseous fuel engine, there is no evaporative effect. Watch your plus CAREFULLY, check for white or gray specs (piston material).

Just adding fuel to the NO2 will keep the mixture where it needs to be, but on a race engine on NO2, its common to see black smoke from the exhaust while on the juice which indicates a rich petrol/gasoline mixture.

Franz

sleepybu

Post by sleepybu »

What fuel do you want to use for the fuel enrichment for the nitrous :?:

I used gas, made it way ezer :wink:

franz

choices

Post by franz »

You can certainly use propane, just watch the plugs for any signs of detonation.

Franz

steve302

nitrous and propane

Post by steve302 »

Thanks for the replies,yes I wanted to try and use propane as the enrichment fuel,has anyone done that before? The other alternative is gas like slepybu did,I guess you used an electric pump and a small fuel supply tank? Any hints/sizes of pumps/results much appreciated,thanks again.
Steve

sleepybu

Post by sleepybu »

I'd like to use liquid propane for the enrichment but i don't know how to regulate the fuel down to 5-7psi. Also with using LP and liquid n2o I'd be concerned with freezing the intake :?

franz

liquid

Post by franz »

You cannot reduce the pressure of liquid propane to 5 to 7 psig unless you also reduce the temperature to -38F. Propane is temperature balanced from zero pressure at -44F, 20 psig at zeroF, 45 psig at 30F, 110 psig at 70F, 205 psig at 100F, 250 psig at 125F and 300 psig at 140F.

Franz

gravespropane

Post by gravespropane »

You could use existing orifices to control the amount of liquid that it injects along with the nitrous. The next thing to consider is what Franz mentioned is that pressure changes with temp. You will need to artificially raise the pressure by temp, pump, or compressor. If you can keep the pressure constant you can more easily figure the orifice size. Its all going to be trial and error. However you dont want to raise the pressure too much or you will run into problems with the tank "popping" off.

Probably easier to do what sleepy did with gasoline, since the nitrous companies have already figured the pressure and orifice size deal out.

Good luck

John

steve302

Post by steve302 »

Thanks everyone,it certainly sounds like using gasoline is the easiest.Like gravespropane mentioned,it could be sorted with some trail and error...I don't mind the trial part,but the error part on nitrous can get very costly and I like my JE pistons just the way they are!
If I run a separate tank and pump etc for enrichment fuel,is it better to run something else than normal gasoline..eg alcohol ? (I'm a newbie to nitrous world no prizes for guessing that)
How does propane injection work for the diesel guys? Is it liquid or vapor injection? Can these systems be used for enrichment devices for a spark ignition engine on nitrous or is the metering not accurate enough?
Sorry for all the questions :roll:
Steve

franz

diesel

Post by franz »

Propane with diesel is simply adding BTU's to existing BTU's. Since the diesel engine is WOT all of the time (no throttle, just controling fuel flow), adding an additional fuel source is the same as adding more diesel. The engine doesnt care where it comes from. The engine will be airflow limited, at some point, the engine will run out of air, hence the presence of a turbo to add more.

There is absolutely NO valid science to the claim that propane acts as a catalyst, making all of the diesel burn more completely, that is called "Voodoo Science"!

Franz

sleepybu

Post by sleepybu »

steve302 wrote: If I run a separate tank and pump etc for enrichment fuel,is it better to run something else than normal gasoline..eg alcohol ? (I'm a newbie to nitrous world no prizes for guessing that)
Steve
You can run alcohol with the nitrous but you'll need to almost double the amount of fuel enrichment :D