diy propane injection - what injectors?

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
geoffrie

diy propane injection - what injectors?

Post by geoffrie »

hi, I'm currently toying with the idea of propane conversion on my turbo pickup, 22r turbo toyota (factory turbo) for the performance benifits. Using a mixer seams like a step backwards to me espesually with the already efi turbo... I would like to use megasquirt and inject vapor propane, but can't find much information about propane injectors. anyone know some good sources for info/injectors? Its my understanding gasoline injectors will fail due to lack of lubrication.

another idea I had is use a nitrous setup instead of injectors and have megasquirt fire the solenoid, but i wonder if it can act quick enough to be accurate for the prime fuel. Some nos setups pulse up to 40hz... Maybe if I had two injector banks, one course adjustment and the other fine ajustment it could be acurate enough. The nitrous setup could inject it in liquid state which is espesually nice for its cooling effects on a turbo engine.

what do you guys think?

thanks,
Jeff

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

In North America, propane injection is still in its infancy and there are very few companies offering propane injection systems. If you would install a propane injection system, you would be one of the pioneers here. It would be great if you could end up with a system as slick as this Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Prins, Bigas, and Viallehave commercially available injection systems in Europe. I believe they also have distributors in North America too.

I have corresponded with Bill Campbell at Gas Injection Technology in Australia and he has been quite helpful to me.

Bi-Phase Technologies has been developing injection systems but I don't know very much about them yet.

TeleflexGFI also makes injection systems but I believe they cater to the OEMs and not the aftermarket.

Yugotech in Ontario makes propane injection conversions but I believe they are focussed serving the fleet market.

As for the NOS system, you would probably get good advice about making that system work from the Megasquirt forum. Since you mentioned Megasquirt in you posting, you are probably already familiar with this site. There is already a Megasquirt user there with a 1987 RX7 Turboon propane injection. You might want to try looking this guy up.

I recommend that if aren't familiar with propane or megasquirt to do each one at a time. Try converting your truck to dual fuel propane and run the gasoline injectors from the megasquirt system. Once you are familiar with the operation of the megasquirt system, getting the propane injectors to work properly will be a lot easier.

geoffrie

Post by geoffrie »

Thanks for the links. The gas injection technology is pretty simular to the path I was thinking. As for the nitrous silenoid idea, I think that will go on the back burner... The real question I have is about the injectors. I realize much bigger injectors will be required due to the vapor being much less dence than gasoline but:

Will gasoline injectors work or will propane specific ones be requred?

If gasoline injectors won't work properly (or won't last long), what sources are there for them?

Thanks,
Jeff

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

Just from a sizing point of view, I don't think that gasoline injectors would work with propane vapour because the volume of gaseous propane must be much greater than that of liquid gasoline. I haven't worked how many times greater flow would be required but just remember that liquid propane is 277 times denser than gaseous propane. Gasoline has a higher energy density (BTU/gal or J/litre) than liquid propane.

As for manufacturers, check my previous post for links.