LP Gas future

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
Tom68

LP Gas future

Post by Tom68 »

Loving my LP cars with Petrol at $2.20 a litre and Gas at 90 cents.

Bloody Governments, manufacturers and Petrol stations ignoring cars and infrastructure for a practical fuel.

storm

Re: LP Gas future

Post by storm »

I'm in the NSW Hunter Valley and most service stations have stopped selling LPG altogether. I'm keeping, and recommend to friends to keep, duel fuel. I have literally spent the last 3 months using E10. If our new PM would bring back the LPG scheme Howard had things would get better but I can't see them doing that. The other side of the coin is EV, which I am excited about but there are no charging stations around here and range is pretty crappy.
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

Automotive LPG is, has been for quite a while, dead in NZ. Even so gas stations still have tanks/ facilities. These are used far more for portable (bbq) tank filling.
Exchange tanks are now far more common at these stations , hardware outlets etc.
Our off shore LPG pretty much ran out quite a few yrs back and have been importing mainly from Aussie.
The main users of automotive LPG.. taxis local delivery vans etc have now moved well into EV/ hybrid technology.
Those, including us, who use LPG tanks for cooking /hot water (restaurants/ homes) it is not competitive with electricity, thu diff is not significant.... yet.
Im not sure if laws have been passed or stilll in progress, but there is 'talk' new installations, and replacement of water heating califants will be banned soon.

Our ev. hybrid vehicles, buses, ferries are increasing at fast rate here in NZ.
Most of our generation is 'natural'.. volcanic, hydro etc, but over all system is under lot strain. importing dirty Indonesian coal, from non 'earth friendly' mining methods to catch up I think is about 10 to 15% of production. Then throw in the infrastructure that will not be able to carry the peak time electricity usage in t5he evenings when everyone goes home cooks... now throw in all the cars being plugged in to re charge..and we are not even including winter (heating) or extreme summers ( air con)

The guy/workshop who checked re certed my installation (requirement in NZ), let his install and certification cert expire couple yrs back, and off hand I no longer know of any others around anymore.
Typing this, Im trying to think back the last 12 months when last saw a LPG vehicle...and dont rem any.
My Spelling is Not Incorrect...It's 'Creative'

Tom68

Post by Tom68 »

Should count my blessings I guess, was going to pull it off two cars 18 months ago with petrol being cheap and media saying LP servos were not being structured into servo revamps.

Note to self, ignore the media.
LPG.jpg

Tom68

Post by Tom68 »

Attachments
Screenshot 2022-12-18 162717.jpg

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

Auto LPG is also pretty well dead in Canada. Those that still operate vehicles are really happy this last year with the price of petrol. Depending on the region the current price is approximately $1.50/ltr. Cnd. and did make it as high as $2.00+.

The future of auto LPG may be dead here but for equipment distributors the LPG market for engines is in the oil fields and still going very strong. The oil fields run there pumps and gensets off NG much of the time, however when the well head pressure drops they revert to LPG. These engines can be anywhere from a few HP to thousands of HP. I'm speaking of engines manufactured by CAT, Cummins, Waukesha, White Superior, etc. They consume massive amounts of fuel and the companies are delighted to be operating them on NG or LPG rather than diesel. The majority are old school and all use IMPCO equipment.

Tom68

Post by Tom68 »

Green scared Countries Like Oz and Cando are ignoring LP, Countries that need to keep moving and are lacking wealth need to be practical and use it.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/10/roush ... el-system/

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2019/0 ... gas-motor/

storm

Post by storm »

I'm all for EVs as they do have a place in the market but LPG still has a place in the market here to. Our problem here is misinformation spread by various groups on both side of the political spectrum as well as both side of industry. While I am NOT an ALP voter they are correct when they say we had nearly a decade of stalled investment and movement towards green technology. Having said that the last time they were in power they had 6 years and did nothing as well. The one thing we had, still have, here in Australia was/is a huge supply of gas but the ALP took away incentives to use it in their previous term in government and between them and the Greens they would not let anything through parliament that re-established it as a cleaner alternative until the infrastructure is built for EV requirements. We have been stalled since late 2007 in this country and I don't see it changing anytime soon.
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456