Spark Plug type .750" Reach

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
Marc

Spark Plug type .750" Reach

Post by Marc »

Hi!
Since February this year my Camaro project evolved in other directions... I went through a restauration working on undercarriage, chassis, interior, installed a new electricity wiring harness, and getting a new engine in with new or restaured accessories
It is a roller cam 383 sbc with aluminum heads, and when it will be fired on propane, first thing I'll do is go get tune the ignition system.
At that very moment I'll try to report on this forum.

Right now I'd like your assistance on the spark plug. I got with the engine this plug type:
NGK BKR5E
.750" Reach Gasket Style Plug

What is a right plug to use instead of this one for my engine running on propane?

Thanks

Marc

storm

Re: Spark Plug type .750" Reach

Post by storm »

What is the plug that the engine builder suggested you use?
In a regular non high performance engine I usually choose a plug 1 heat range cooler for LPG than the manufacturers specification for petrol but high performance engines often use plug 1 heat range cooler anyway. So to answer your question I'd start with the plug recommended to you by your engine builder or the people you bought it off and start from there.
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

Tom68

Post by Tom68 »

Marc wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:03 am
Hi!
Since February this year my Camaro project evolved in other directions... I went through a restauration working on undercarriage, chassis, interior, installed a new electricity wiring harness, and getting a new engine in with new or restaured accessories
It is a roller cam 383 sbc with aluminum heads, and when it will be fired on propane, first thing I'll do is go get tune the ignition system.
At that very moment I'll try to report on this forum.

Right now I'd like your assistance on the spark plug. I got with the engine this plug type:
NGK BKR5E
.750" Reach Gasket Style Plug

What is a right plug to use instead of this one for my engine running on propane?

Thanks

Marc
5's bloody hot, I'd start with a 7.

Marc

Post by Marc »

Manufacturer suggest NGK BKR5E.
It is a 383 ci delivering 440 HP on gas (dyno) @ 5500 rpm.
I guess it will deliver 400 HP on propane.
I also think the NGK BKR7E should be OK for propane as better too cold than too hot and propane does not foul plug (no deposit) normally :-)