HELP!! 2002 F150 7700,intermittent start.

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
Shamrock Kid

HELP!! 2002 F150 7700,intermittent start.

Post by Shamrock Kid »

So I have this issue of start runs fine then no start. The truck is new to me, currently only trying to run it on gasoline. I'm unsure if the GFI system if functional. Due to its age and lack of maintenance I'm contemplating removal and converting to truck back to original. But I have questions before attempting anything.

1. Is there any known tech manuals, diaphragms, or support?
2. Is this system a piggy back or integrated system ?
3. If it is just piggy backed, can it be safely removed?
4. What are the disposal laws, rules if any?
5. If integrated will the truck be able to be put back to original? Will a new ECM, ECU, PCM what ever you want to call it, be needed?

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone has experience doing any of this? Maybe point me in the right direction.

storm

Re: HELP!! 2002 F150 7700,intermittent start.

Post by storm »

Hi, I'm sorry to say without much more information I am unable to help much but Franz and C3H8 will probably be able to offer guidance. Franz is an LPG guru who is also from Texas and C3H8 from Canada is a wealth of knowledge.
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

Shamrock Kid

Post by Shamrock Kid »

Thanks for all the help!! I got her running well!!

franz

Post by franz »

Shamrock:

I was asked to chime in but you say you got it running well. If so, congratulations! The GFI-Ford partnership was not a happy marriage and resulted in one of the highest warranty issues Ford faced. Both the Compuvalve and the vaporizer/converter were very problematic with a host of continual headaches. The earlier systems required specific diagnostic software which may not be available any longer and was never available to the non-dealer (OEM installations only). SOME later models would directly interface with the OEM ECM for OBD-II diagnostics. The OEM ECM never served as a stand alone gaseous fuel controller.

Service parts are also non existent to the best of my knowledge.

No, I am not a fan of the system. Is it possible to remove the entire system? I did one around 2003 or 4 and had minimal issues.

Franz