Fuel level gauge at drivers end

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
jono

Fuel level gauge at drivers end

Post by jono »

I am curious what people have as fuel level indicators up front.

My first conversion 30 years ago used a box of tricks to convert Ohms from tank contents gauge on the tank, into a range to suit the fuel gauge already in the classic old Ford's dash. It worked well at each end of the ranges

Other conversions I have been able to select from similar ranged on tank gauges to again work well with factory wet fuel gauges.

Others have had half a dozen LEDs in a change over switch

Due to experience driving various LPG fields cars with a common ten LED gauge finding them unreliable as to remaining volume left in tank - I have done hated them with a passion.

So, I can't really explain why my most recent conversion I went with the despised LED bar, other than wanting to put a tacho in place of a wet fuel factory gauge

Talking to the manufacturer of these gauges I was now confident of its accuracy with my specific application.

Parked at night with the single orange LED lit, so things were getting close. Next mornings start, just the one red LED came on, no orange, so headed for a refill, up a slight incline after just half a mile and she sputtered and died.

So yeah accurate is nice.

But then over time I have run low, too low and had two green LEDs still showing.

I found to disconnect sender wire, LED gauge read full. Found a slightly loose 1/4" female spade connector at the tank. A quick squeeze to give best connection - the gauge has become reliable once again :)
Attachments
IMG_20190624_170343.jpg

BigBlockMopar

Re: Fuel level gauge at drivers end

Post by BigBlockMopar »

I hate those led-level gauges. They are very popular with LPG-builds here too.

On my daily driven Dodge I've made a custom dash and installed a Chevy-fuel gauge in there.
It has the same 0-90 Ohm rating as the tank sender and works perfectly.
What I also find a big positive is the gauge is not dampened, so I can always see the fuel level moving and any fluid-slosh in the tank(s).
https://www.bigblockmopar.com
'73 Dodge Dart - 360ci - 11.3:1cr
MegaSquirt + HEI 7-pin timing control - Edelbrock AirGap - Cold Air Intake
IMPCO E / 425 mixer - A518 OD-trans - 3.55 gears - 225/50/17" tires.

storm

Post by storm »

I don't mind the old LED gauges. The one in my car is made to fit into the dash so it looks relatively OEM. It is also fairly accurate and I know when the red LED comes on I've got about 50 kms before it runs out so I can fill up before that. I've taken it so far that the tank, which holds 70 litres LPG, refills with 69.8 litres and as I am driving along I can hear the LPG vapour being pulled from the tank.
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

BigBlockMopar

Post by BigBlockMopar »

Storm, don't you guys have an 80% max fill limit in the tanks?
I'm running with 2 tanks in the trunk with a combined volume of 110 Liter, but I can only fuel up to around 75-80 liters orso.
When the fluid level in the tanks become low enough to expose the fuel-pickup under acceleration, I will notice the engine holding back rightaway.
https://www.bigblockmopar.com
'73 Dodge Dart - 360ci - 11.3:1cr
MegaSquirt + HEI 7-pin timing control - Edelbrock AirGap - Cold Air Intake
IMPCO E / 425 mixer - A518 OD-trans - 3.55 gears - 225/50/17" tires.

storm

Post by storm »

Yes under the Australian and New Zealand Standard Australian cylinders are limited to 80% fill. New Zealand is apparently 85% due to much cooler climate but I'm not sure if they push it that far.

My main car is only a 3.8 Ecotec so it's fuel requirements are no where near as much as your 5.9 litre. When the tank is only left with vapour I can safely use up to 85% TPS for most of the time but you feel the car slow down, especially if you use cruise control, a couple of kms from totally empty. I can literally cruise on a flat road at 80kmh with 5-10% TPS to nearly empty.

My throttle body has a cfm rating of 440 cfm which isn't much smaller than your IMPCO so my engine also doesn't have the airflow restriction yours does.
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456