Air line oiler as simple valve lubricator

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
evranch

Re: Air line oiler as simple valve lubricator

Post by evranch » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:49 pm

So it didn't quite work out putting the lubricator in the PCV line. The issue was, the 1/4" oiler is quite restrictive - more restrictive than the PCV valve, actually. It's meant to run at 90psi, not vacuum pressures.

When I was out plowing snow I noticed steam blowing from around my ill-fitted PCV valve. With inadequate flow, the line had filled with condensation and frozen up. The added heat from the new thermostat may have also boiled off a large volume of moisture from the crankcase all at once, as the old thermostat was leaking and the tractor was not coming up to temperature.

So I've changed the 90 in the original picture for a tee, such that the PCV flow and the oiler flow are separate. The oiler is just drawing unfiltered air for now. I put a small ball valve on the inlet so that I could adjust how much vacuum is passing through the oiler - however, it seems to idle the highest with the valve wide open. I must have still been running on the rich side.

It might work fine in the PCV line if you are not operating in freezing temperatures, however it will definitely decrease your PCV flow. I had hoped the action of the PCV, with more flow under load, would counter the tendency of the vacuum-driven oiler to deliver the most oil flow at idle, but the oiler turned out to be the limiting factor.

jono

Post by jono » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:10 pm

interesting approach but the pcv probably does not deliver consistently in some cases. I installed a cheap version of UCL to the Impco throttle body on my 250 ci inline six. Within ten miles I had to reduce the idle speed by a few hundred rpm , an anomaly I can only suggest caused by freeing up the upper sides of the pistons - nothing was caught in throttle linkages and I had not changed the idle adjustments at all

After first few litres bought individually I asked my lubricant supplier if he could source it cheaper in bulk. Yep, got some for a trucking company not so long ago. This guy was too smart or shifty for his own good. I developed a miss that required head off and into machine shop - twice !!

It was a sticky intake valve and it was not until the second time discussion and musing with machine shop owner he mentioned unusual sticky black carbon build up in the intake ports

My too smart for his own good had simply sold me two stroke oil in a recycled repainted 20 litre metal drum :( and it was not suitable to stay in the airstream of an intake manifold

By the time I had worked out what the shifty @#$&er had done he had sold his business and moved on.

Unsure of the quality of the oil I didn't even use if in my two strokes - put it through the Kroll workshop heater

evranch

Post by evranch » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:43 pm

Yikes! Glad I switched away from 2-stroke to the MMO then. I agree with not putting questionable 2T oil in a motor, the last thing you want in a high-revving little motor is for its only oil to be some random junk.

MMO is much lighter and burns cleaner, no more smoke puffing on warm restarts or throttle changes.

Interesting side effect, you said your idle came up, for me I noticed the compression is up significantly. I like to use the hand crank with the ignition off to get some oil flowing and fuel into the cylinders before a cold start. After a couple runs with MMO, I can really feel the compression fighting me more. The MMO must be either cleaning carbon off the valves, helping the top ring seat, or both. I'll have to check my clearances on the next nice day.