Vialle Converter Problem

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
lilredex

Vialle Converter Problem

Post by lilredex »

Switch over on my dual fuel system was starting to come with a very long delay when switching to propane. Inspection at the carburetor looked like it was being fed a slug of liquid, first thought was liquid propane, but it turned out to be antifreeze.

The diaphragm was replaced, but it did not look the same as the original which was reinforced on the back side. (First two pictures)

The diaphragm replaced is the one between sections 2 and 3 (under the solenoid valve) in the photo below.

Before installing the converter, I did a bench test. The water section was filled then I blew into the vapour fuel nipple and watched for bubbles. The diaphragm expanded and displaced some water as would be expected, and there were no bubbles, which was my main concern.

The system now again works as it did with instant switch over.

Here are the questions:

A) I always thought the water section was self contained, but to my surprize, only a thin diaphragm keeps the separation between propane/ antifreeze. Am I missing something? Are Impco's set up the same way?

B) Is that new diaphragm designed to handle the job of antifreeze separation? That reinforced diaph. shown above was in regular service since 1993.

C3H8

Re: Vialle Converter Problem

Post by C3H8 »

Vialle and IMPCO are designed different. IMPCO has a coolant chamber with metal separating it from the vapour section. Definitely a plus. The IMPCO water gasket prevents leakage between the body and backing plate.

Vialle and similar European regs only have a diaphragm as you have witnessed plus a supporting rack made of plastic behind the diaphragm. The only reason you think the original diaphragm was reinforced is that the rubber on the antifreeze side has deteriorated until you can see the threaded structure between the layers of rubber. The diaphragm you installed has the same structure. Well done if you installed the kit and successfully have run the engine. Many people have additional problems once they rebuild these regs. The rebuild is pretty straight forward but there are some small pieces that frequently cause newbies problems.

lilredex

Post by lilredex »

Thanks for the info, It did occur to me that the inside of that diaphragm might have blown away but it was done so neatly that it did look original like that picture. It was a simple repair as I only changed the one diaphragm and inspected the others. I changed another on the other side a few years back as it was leaking propane from the body and leaking into the cab as you drove along. Not a pleasant drive.

That is the end of my Vialle spares that I got through you, do you still have them available?

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

I'll check and let you know.

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

I'll check and let you know. This is a duplicate message. I've been getting an irritating error message using MS Edge. I'm redoing the post with Google to see if the same error message comes up.

storm

Post by storm »

Edge is a shocker. I use Firefox, or Chrome if I am desperate.
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

storm

Post by storm »

Edge is a shocker. I use Firefox, or Chrome if I am desperate.

EDIT: Just got the error message myself in Firefox, but I still think Edge is a shocker ;)
EDIT2: I think the error is in the server.
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

jono

Post by jono »

I have to admit I have never pulled a new Vialle apart to compare the diaphram with the replacements , but to me , I also thought the replacement rebuild kits contained a less ruggedly constructed diaphragm like the OP.

For convenience or short on time, once chose to do an exchange rebuilt converter with a wrecker, only to find it leaked at the lock off/filter section. A call to the supplier resulted in a visit from a third party who did the reco, inspected and added in the necessary seals. Turns out this third party was so confident in these units he did not need to replace these seals. From this point on we would make the time to do the rebuild ourselves including replace the entire seal kit !

Every one of them we found the internal hold-the-sections-tight-together were loose. This would upset the coolant separation for sure, as most would spit coolant into the vapour side. Also once found a well tar soaked bug at the end of the triangular funnel shaped vapour path simply blocking flow. A simple clean up and reassemble tightening those loose bolts and the converter still powers that beast :)