Hillclimb car

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
bringlight1

Hillclimb car

Post by bringlight1 »

Hi, I am Rian. I have been reading you guys for awhile. I talked to frank about my propane needs and he told me to come out onto the forum for your input. I am building a hillclimb car. The motor is a stroked 401 amc. It is being balanced by Bill Schnell now in Portland OR. Bill has stroked it to 420 ci. filled the block, put in 4 bolt mains, designed a custom cam with comp for propane and turbo. The heads were fully ported by the "wizard" James Lawhead a local AMC legend. They are O-ringed. It is a dry sump engine with a custom cooling system. I am building the intake and exhaust. I have cut off the top of a Torker manifold and it is a huge common plenum with velocity stacks interior. The exhaust primaries are 1 an 7/8 to 3 and 1/2 collectors connecting to a 104 billet precision turbo. A large liquid intake cooler is stand alone electic feed. This was all designed from the beginning to be propane fueled. I have come to believe that 3 impco 425s with matching Es and progressive linkage is the answer in blow through. Each would get its own lock off, I am leaning to electric. I will feed this by twin forklift tanks using a manifold to deliver as much propane as possible. Three is because that is what the math tells me this setup needs at 1.5 bar @ 6500 rpm. I have seen there are bright people on this forum who could help me. Will you please.

bringlight1

Re: Hillclimb car

Post by bringlight1 »

I am not afraid of creative solutions. However this is a car inspired by older technologies. The turbo is the big compromise to present advancements.

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

This sounds like a very interesting project. I would caution one point. You say you are going to use a couple of fork lift cylinders. Keep in mind that if this vehicle is to be driven on public roads at any time fork lift cylinders would not be legal to use.

Your calculations sound fairly accurate on the mixer requirement. Somewhere North of 900 CFM at 1.5 Bar. The one concern would be over fueling at throttle tip in. I would suggest you look at progressive linkage for your mixers having each throttle plate begin to open at different times. One at idle. Maybe the second one at 1/3 throttle and the last at 2/3 throttle. The other option is to have the center one open first and the two others at 50 to 70% throttle. This was an old trick used on tri-carb muscle cars like the 1964/65 Pontiac GTO. They ran 3X2 barrel Rochesters from the factory. The center carb opened first and the outside carbs at about 65% throttle. This retained a really good off the line power and a killer mid range and WOT. The same set up would help on LPG to get good power throughout the range.

gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Keep in mind that if this vehicle is to be driven on public roads at any time fork lift cylinders would not be legal to use.
not trying to hijack the thread, but can you go into more detail? On American sites forklift cylinders are for sale for on road propane kits. I guess what i'm asking is there a good reason why its not legal in Canada. It seems to be legal is the states...

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

Why in the world would anyone want to use something like a forklift cylinder ?? there are many things that could be used instead .. anyone could say use something for propane cylinder but would not necessarily mean it is legal . bringlight1 PM me . have a good one
Now how the hell did that happen ?

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

Your right. Let's not highjack the thread. See the new one I started

kikkegek

Post by kikkegek »

following, this sounds freaking awesome!
storage/project: 1974 GMC 25HUNDRED Suburban - fresh rebuild 350 small block - TH350-NP203 - 4.10 gears - IMPCO425 mixer
driver/project: 1977 GMC C15 Suburban - 454 big block - 4L80E- LPG VSI - 3.08 gears
sold: 1986 Chevrolet Suburban K20 Silverado