Tank cleaning?

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
protrucks

Tank cleaning?

Post by protrucks »

Hello all I was wondering if anyone knew if there is an additive that can be added to propane that will breakdown the oily slug that builds up over time and settles in the bottom of the tank and can be safely burn up throe the fuel system.

BigBlockMopar

Re: Tank cleaning?

Post by BigBlockMopar »

The tank's fuel pickup is always at or near the bottom of the tank so I'm fairly sure the oily dropout residue is taken up by it while driving and moved into any filter or fed into the engine already.
https://www.bigblockmopar.com
'73 Dodge Dart - 360ci - 11.3:1cr
MegaSquirt + HEI 7-pin timing control - Edelbrock AirGap - Cold Air Intake
IMPCO E / 425 mixer - A518 OD-trans - 3.55 gears - 225/50/17" tires.

Steptoe

Re: Tank cleaning?

Post by Steptoe »

Further to the post above..
I assume that the concern is because u have looked inside a std BBQ/ heater type tank and seen the oil and crap in the bottom after a few yrs use..
The reason for this is because std , non automotive tanks take the vapour off the top.... automotive tanks take the liquid off the bottom... like a petrol tank... so one doesn't get a build up.
Thu it can/ does tend to collect in the shut off filter a little... but mainly gunges up the converter, espec if the converter out let is not at the bottom... mounted horizontally , rather than vertically.
If mounted horizontally or the outlet not at the bottom... removing the cover and diaphram... scrape out most and wash down with a little kerosene (paraffin liquid) sorts out for the next 5 yrs or so.
My Spelling is Not Incorrect...It's 'Creative'