Al-gas 60 mixer ,, c-250a reg.

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
geraldm

Al-gas 60 mixer ,, c-250a reg.

Post by geraldm »

The old forklift with the al=gas 60 mixer and the c-250a fuel system has been giving me some problems .. mostly stalling and hard starting .. took the reg. apart and checked things everything seemed fine .. found the brass slot adjuster on the bottom of the mixer gave it a small bit of a turn and it picked right up , with a bit of adjusting on the thumb screw and the throttle plate screw it is back to where it was .. wondering what the brass adjuster does ?? I'm guessing it is some kinda balance adjustment .. and why would it need adjusting ..
Now how the hell did that happen ?

C3H8

Re: Al-gas 60 mixer ,, c-250a reg.

Post by C3H8 »

Got a picture. I'm thinking way back now into the foggy depths of my memory :? . I believe what you are talking about is an idle mixture adjustment screw. It bypass fuel around the throttle plate. A picture would help refresh my memory.

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

Yup .. the one I talk about is bottom center ,, the thumb adjuster is left and up it actually has a bolt head with a slot for a screw driver .. the bottom brass one is very sensitive and demands a slow adjustment Maybe 1/6 of a turn from run to no run either way .. to make the engine run again I turned the brass adjuster 1/8 of a turn counterclockwise . It is actually running quite nice again just wondering what it was I did to me him go again .
2015-05-25 001 (450x600).jpg
2015-05-25 002 (450x600).jpg
2015-05-25 003 (450x600).jpg
2015-05-25 004 (450x600).jpg

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

Nice pictures. Totally stumped. I don't remember ever seeing this particular mixer design and I can't figure out how this adjustment would work. We'll have to wait and see if anybody else has an idea how it affect the mixer.

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

Yea he's a strange little dude .. very sensitive mixer .. Trevor found the kit actually 2 kits for the mixer and reg but have no idea where he dug it up from .. But the kit never came with any literature either . I guess it's not real important but it would be nice to know what kinda fish that is .

bumpstart

Post by bumpstart »

i havent had or seen one before too. but going on the position and apparent runner below the gas port
seems as if the brass screw is used to equalise some of the pressure in the gas line above the diaphragm, and thus tenuate the spring pressure there

.. much like the regulator on an external wastegate for a turbo

i expect tuning with it brings subtle differences in the gas supply pressures
when the going is hard, don't retard, remember your lubrication

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

i will check out my pictures and videos and see if i can come up with a internal shot of the mixer maybe it will show something .

franz

Post by franz »

Oh, geez, old memories in from the fog. The mixer uses positive pressure from the vaporizer regulator in this version. For some reason, Algas liked to use light positive pressure, I forget the actual number but its in the low inches of water column pressure. Also, the regulator has had a history of the pressure seat failing, allowing for a higher pressure, richer mixer.

I think I MIGHT have one of those carburetor mixers floating around, I'll have to dig around in the deep, dark, semi-hidden abyss that is our store room/garage. As for the regulator, I havent seen them in ages. Squibb Taylor used to be the vendor, then Precision General. Not sure where they are today. For parts, try http://www.pngtechnologies.com/Algas_Impco.html, they have come through in a pinch for me and their parts are very reasonable.

Franz

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

I got a kit from PRO QUIP SALES INC. out of Calgary Alberta . 1-866-692-8132 . a year or so ago . I dont know where Trevor found it but find he did . I'm thinking he has connections . I think your bang on with your thinking ., he does seem to be running a bit rich so maybe I turned the brass screw a bit to far counter clockwise so I going to take some time a go at it again and try to get him a little better , he does smell a little rich . The old TOWMOTOR forklift is from the early 50's and dont know if the propane was on from new or not but I think not , I figure it was added later just the way it was mounted if nothing else . Cat bought the towmotor company back in the late 60's or early 70's i think . so I dont think they would handle any parts for the propane system but I can still by some parts for it . thanks for the time , if you come up with any more info on this system please post .. Geraldm

P.S. One thing I should mention ,,, after the kit was installed it ran fine but if I hit the throttle quick it would die immediately and then just when the engine stopped running I could hear a small popping sound like the diaphragm returning against a spring , I dont know how else to explain it .. It always started again right off.