Vapor hose ?

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
geraldm

Vapor hose ?

Post by geraldm »

When I purchased my Impco products for my bike from Calgary The fellow I dealt with Trevor I believe was his name had the good thoughts to include a good amount of the 1 " RIBBED VAPOR hose ( I suppose not knowing how far I was running it )

Now on my Honda Gold-wing GL1200 the upper and lower rad hoses are 1 " and to replace the two with original is well over 200 dollars cdn. .. In total there is less than 12 inches of hose involved , call me what ever you want but not a chance in hell I will pay 200 bucks for 9" and a 3" piece of 1" hose . The 9" one does have a bend but the ribbed makes it no problem and the 3" is pretty much straight just a tad off set .so is this ribbed vapor hose compatible with antifreeze ??,, and other mild chemicals ? Dont want to end up half way to PEI and find out it wont do the job .. What is the real name for it and is it available in other larger sizes ?? ( It would work great on The DRAGON for coolant lines as it has so many different bends to get from A to B .) Thanks Gerald .
Now how the hell did that happen ?

storm

Re: Vapor hose ?

Post by storm »

Do you mean Gann hose? Named after Gann Corporation who initially made it.
I've never seen it bigger than 1" but that doesn't mean it isn't available.
I'd be concerned that you are using a hose that is not designed for that purpose.
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

The hose Proquip supplied you is a Gann product. This vapour hose comes standard in 1", 3/4" and 5/8" diameters. It is specially made for gaseous fuels and is a low pressure hose with a minimum pressure rating of 5 PSI. It is capable of withstanding substantially higher pressures as it has a steel spiral coil in between the inner and outer layer. The inner layer is rated to handle LPG and Ng and the by-products that fall out of these fuels. It does not indicate if it is compatible with anti-freeze, however, I can't think of anything in anti-freeze that would harm it. I have seen this hose saturated with antifreeze by European regulators that only have a diaphragm separating the coolant chamber from the vapour chamber. In these cases the saturation has been short term though, as the engine quits running shortly after as the vapour chamber and vapour hose fill with anti freeze cutting off the fuel supply. The outer layer is a canvas rubber compound that is quite strong and very durable. I am sure this hose would withstand 12 to 15 PSI from a system no problem. Considering that the vapour temperature of propane passing through it can reach 160 to 180 degrees it is also rated at fairly high temperature. The one area of concern would be the durability of the hose with anti freeze as that has never been tested, as far as I know. Other chemicals could have an impact also that I am not aware of.

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

Here is the exact description for the VH series hose from the Gann website.

VH Series - This popular Gann line features our natural gas and propane vapor hose. Sold worldwide since 1961, it is widely used in propane and natural gas applications, and on a diversity of automotive, industrial, agricultural, marine and material handling equipment.

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

Yes I went to the web page after some info from storm , and me thinks I will try it , .. I actually dont see them making a hose that would not be compatible seeing as most of the reg's seem to need coolant running through them , Been looking around and cant find anywhere of someone changing vapor hoses because of deterioration from any of the mentioned . If things happen , well that is why I have CAA premier they will pick any of my stuff up , even my F350 handi- van with cargo hauler behind and take it anywhere I want . But I think if I keep an eye on things and check I am confident it will work .. Just wanted to check and see if anyone has had problems with anti-freeze breaking down the gann hose . Thanks guys , I will report back on this later on in the summer and let you know how it goes .. thanks for the time ..
Now how the hell did that happen ?

BigBlockMopar

Post by BigBlockMopar »

Personally I would just head over to an autoparts shop and ask the counterdrone to get you a 1" hose similar to the ones you need without saying what it's for.
Or even find a single 1" moulded hose where you can cut your own hoses from.
https://www.bigblockmopar.com
'73 Dodge Dart - 360ci - 11.3:1cr
MegaSquirt + HEI 7-pin timing control - Edelbrock AirGap - Cold Air Intake
IMPCO E / 425 mixer - A518 OD-trans - 3.55 gears - 225/50/17" tires.