need Help! should be simple but new to propane

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
msayles13

need Help! should be simple but new to propane

Post by msayles13 »

Hey guys thanks for adding me to the forum pretty new to propane so any help would be greatly appreciated.
ok so I've got a 454 with a IMPCO model E on gas and propane and its been running great on both. Recently when running propane it was sputtering a bit when lightly on the throttle, I was told that if the little cotton filter was even a little dirty it would run shitty, and it was filthy so I swapped it out and while at it I pulled the cover off the vaporizer to check things out, it was pretty gunky so I wiped it out. There was a small tear on the front edge of the gasket part of the diagram near the outlet, but didn't go into the actual diagram and seeing as how replacement parts are few and far between around here I put some form-a - gasket on just in case to get me through.
After I assembled it all, I went to start it and nothing, can't get it to start. Full tank of propane, nothing got pinched or knocked off just won't start. Starts and runs fine on gas still just not propane. Do I need to prime it somehow? Is there a sequence to go through when introducing propane back into the system? Could the small tear in the gasket actually effect it? Any help or suggestions would be great thanks

C3H8

Re: need Help! should be simple but new to propane

Post by C3H8 »

Let's start with some simple facts. Other then if you live in sub zero temperatures a slightly or mildly dirty filter will no affect your propane operation. Propane tank pressure ranges from 0 PSI at -42C to about 200 PSI at 35C. It takes a pretty dirty filter to stop propane if the temps are above 0C. It is still good to regularly change a filter, especially just before winter when the temps drop below 0C.

Propane systems don't have to be primed after service. The air introduced to the system might delay a start for a few seconds but the air will purge quickly.

I would start by checking the secondary diaphragm to be sure it is connected to the secondary lever since you had that disassembled. That's the diaphragm with the tear in the gasket surface. Note the slots on the metal plate in the center of the diaphragm and make sure they are hooked onto the lever pin properly.

The tear you refer to should not be an issue. I am assuming from your description that the gasket material is all there and you used form a gasket just to bond the ends. You could test it by just pushing your primer button in the middle of the lid. The pressure should push the diaphragm up and force the primer button back up indicating the gasket surface is sealing. You may have to turn your engine over a couple of cranks just to make sure propane is past the lock off. By the way is your lock off electric or vacuum?

msayles13

Post by msayles13 »

ok so here's the thing, I live in the interior of british Columbia so it has been sub zero lately, at least in the mornings, (starting to warm up though now) I've checked the diaghram its hooked into the little lever and yes it was just the ends of the gasket that where a little torn.
I pressed the button and it pops back up so its holding pressure and I could hear the fuel flowing through into the carb when I pushed it so the fuel is flowing. I got it to run finally but only after starting it on gas then switching it over to propane while running, and I had to keep the throttle down a bit otherwise it just dies. almost like its not enough pressure. not sure if it maters but I can see vapors coming out of the vent hole on top of the vaporizer near the outlet and that's directly above where the tear in the gasket is. hopefully this gives some more info

msayles13

Post by msayles13 »

oh and it vacuum operated, goes to a little electric silonoid that's opens it up when I switch it over from gas

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

You should not be able to see vapour coming out of the vent hole. Although it seems to be holding pressure the diaphragm is leaking. The ability to run could probably be corrected temporarily by adjusting the fuel mixture on the mixer. What model mixer is on the engine. The model should be marked on top of the mixer. You should rebuild your model E vapourizer anyways by the sound of it. I am going to PM a source to you.