IMPCO start assist

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
BigBlockMopar

Re: IMPCO start assist

Post by BigBlockMopar » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:22 am

Some 15+ years ago, while still being young and... cheap, I rigged a "manual start-assist" on my '67 Chrysler.
With the vaporizer mounted flush to the firewall, I fabbed a wooden stick, mounted right in front of the vaporizer, that ran straight through the engine bay through an exisiting hole in the radiator frame.
Everyday on cold morning starts, I would turn on the ignition, get out and push on the tip of the stick for 2-3 seconds while listening to the propane filling the vapourhose, after which the engine started right up, everytime.

Of course these days I would use better solutions for this issue.
Like, an aluminium tube would be better then a silly wooden stick ofcourse :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
https://www.bigblockmopar.com
'73 Dodge Dart - 360ci - 11.3:1cr
MegaSquirt + HEI 7-pin timing control - Edelbrock AirGap - Cold Air Intake
IMPCO E / 425 mixer - A518 OD-trans - 3.55 gears - 225/50/17" tires.

storm

Post by storm » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:55 am

kikkegek wrote:
storm wrote:The injector mounted in the regulator has been around for a very long time. Here's a pic of one mounted in a B2 for a GRA setup.
g002.jpg
Cool. What part in the photo is the injector?
The injector is the part between the water inlet and outlet.
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence.

Fuel flow requirements calculations viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1638

kuchen

Post by kuchen » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:20 am

There are injectors and solenoid valves, I would refer to the one on that regulator as a solenoid valve. Injectors can dose fuel down to 3ms squirts, solenoid valves can't.
For a simple pushbutton primer, a solenoid valve is good enough.
I am currently working on a small electronic device that takes the ignition pulses and pulses a single injector say 20ms per ignition event while cranking. This is how my CNG Megasquirt starts and it works flawlessly without interaction like in a modern car. Unlike on petrol, the cranking pulsewidth is independent of the ambient temperature, as there is no wall condensation effect with gaseous fuels.
This unit is also designed to control the evaporator temperature using a NTC screwed into the Impco E and a Mercedes DuoValve to restrict the water flow. To assist the evaporation, an electric water pump is activated on very cold starts.
As the micro controller is almost idle with the tasks above, it also controls the valves of a two tank setup, computes the overall fill rate and generates a signal to drive the stock 0-90 Ohm GM Fuel Gage.
PCB is build up, program is written, needs testing - but my Cadillac was hit by a hailstorm so I have plenty of other things to do first.

kikkegek

Post by kikkegek » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:31 am

wow, you are thinking up some cool stuff Kuchen.

curious about the results and end result
daily: 1974 GMC 25HUNDRED Suburban - fresh rebuild 350 small block - TH350-NP203 - 4.1 end gears - IMPCO425 mixer - IMPCO model E vaporizer
project: 1977 GMC C15 Suburban - 454 big block - TH400 - gasoline
sold: 1986 Chevrolet Suburban K20 Silverado