blow off valve on draw through IMPCO

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
jono

Re: blow off valve on draw through IMPCO

Post by jono » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:56 am

OK, update

I took the blow off assembly off.

I lost any real torque and power under 4000pm and was ridiculous towing a trailer - was pulling over in slow lanes to let traffic pass until WHOOPHA 4000 I'd kick a real kick.

Unknown if it was boost pressure releasing and pushing the mixer diaphragm up/open , or what :( maybe the blow off valve was not closing off correctly and recirculating boost pressure until almost too late

Just no patience for fiddling with it at the time.

I'll be tempted to try it as a vent to atmosphere in theory/controlled chamber just to see if performance improves - if it does, it will be a new attack one day - electronic controlled blow off

GLHS60

Post by GLHS60 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:41 pm

I haven't been here for a while but recently bought another propane junker and logged in. As to blow off valves I thought I would share an interesting feature of the Chrysler Intercooled 4 cylinder engines from 1986 to 1989, known as the Turbo II. Rather than use any blow off valve they used a flexible, bellows style hose between the intercooler and turbocharger. This had no adverse effect on performance and prevented any compressor surging and associated noise when the throttle was closed while boosting, like gear changing. The Turbo II engines were considered to be the finest and most durable turbo engines by many enthusiasts.

Thanks
Randy

jono

Post by jono » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:13 pm

Same era as mine. Thanks for the input. As you'd know, that flexy thing would likely play with Impcos internal signals for correct fuel delivery between mixer and converter. Keeps the mind churning away :)