chev duel fuel

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
markw

chev duel fuel

Post by markw »

hi i am looking to converting 1996 chev 1500 5.0 to duel fuel lpg. i have a couple 300a , modle e vap ,vff 30 . would like to try use this stuff. not haveing much luck finding timing advance control and what do i need for computer also would like some info on lpg conversions any resourses. some of this stuff came off 1994 f150 ford that i had.also have autoronic controls pt no 8694 i got and could not use if somebody is interested on box say 1986-1992

Imperial73

Re: chev duel fuel

Post by Imperial73 »

It could be usefull to mention you country/region, as local regulations regarding LPG-installation do vary.

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

A little more info please. Most 1996 5L engines had an intake that was half plastic with a central port injection. Is this what you have?
If so there are many considerations to be discussed before you choose to convert this engine. These engines had the air cleaner mounted on the passenger side fender. Please confirm. This engine is very prone to backfires and many precautions have to be taken to minimize this possibility. If this engine experiences an intake backfire it can destroy the plastic portion of the intake. Modifications are required on the intake plenums to mount the mixer and the 300 is the last choice for this set up. The E and VFF30 are OK. Enough for now until you can confirm the some details.

markw

Post by markw »

yes this does have half plastic intake and air cleaner mountd on passenger fender. i live wisconsin US not any regulations that i am aware of lpg conversions not very popular.is there any better conversions for this motor. trying to do this as inexpensive as i can.

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

Actually there are regs for you. The NFPA 58 regs apply nationally in the US.

The cheapest way is also the way that "could" lead to issues. Many of the 5.7L engines were converted with the plastic intakes, however approximately 30% would have mild to severe intake backfires. I saw some that put on about 200K to 300K miles with virtually no problems. I also saw some that for some reason never made it 1000 miles with out problems. Back then they were converted with either IMPCO style mixers or fixed venturri mixers. Both could be trouble free or problem prone.

The safest way is to use an injection system. It virtually eliminates back fire and check engine issues. It requires some extra work to insert the injector tubes correctly but they work very well. Your main issue in the US is that conversions require EPA approval. Many have been done with kits or parts not approved but it is against the law. Just stated for your information.