Impco enrichment start valve

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
flatblack

Impco enrichment start valve

Post by flatblack »

I figured id start a new post here instead of the same one since its a new topic. My 358 is a little hard starting when its cold. Would the enrichment valve help..?....if so how and where would I hook the impco enrichment valve on the x-1 or the model e. I seen it threads in and has a vacuum hose but not sure where it would go.. If you guys hooked one of these up before and can help id really appreciate it....thanks.

bumpstart

Re: Impco enrichment start valve

Post by bumpstart »

im using a HP solenoid off a 1/8 npt nipple port from the LP deck on the model E convertor
and have it switched under load conditions of my choice by the aux out controls on my haltech ECU ( 13b turbo )
via a drilled mig jet pill ( 2.4 mm ) ..it is routed to a port behind the mixer but in front of TB

since the ECU pulls the input to ground .. the other side of the HP solenoid is wired to ignition
... those without an ECU could use a vac/pressure switch ..

.. adding a manual dash switch to earth teed to this solenoid earth switch wire allows the user to open the solenoid and bleed some LP gas past the mixer to aid for cold start

PS
i think 2.0 mm would be better under revision as im now 10.5 :1 under 1 bar boost with... and 13:1 without
im currently switching it at -5 in Hg to avoid a lean out on throttle flairing that is exacerbated by running the CDP-02 convertor vacuum modulation control solenoid
ie, more of a throttle pump ..( and cold start assist ) than actually requiring any extra mix adjust under boost
when the going is hard, don't retard, remember your lubrication

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

Although there are a couple of ways the most common on the model E is the secondary port just below the lid. Poit the vapour outlet down looking at the top of the reg and it is at the 8 o'clock position. The vac line is attached at the base of the mixer. On an X1 it may have a similar port but I'm not 100% sure. Memory is getting older. The IMPCO SV primer can be screwed straight into this opening and then wired directly to the starter solenoid or through a spring loaded switch on the dash.

I found bumpstart's post very interesting. A pretty unique way of getting additional fuel at high boost and providing prime fuel. You would have to be careful though. They flood pretty easy that way on startup.

flatblack

Post by flatblack »

ill look today to see on both of those where it would go. I know for sure on the e but not the x-1. thanks

bumpstart

Post by bumpstart »

oops, slight correction.. i have the power source for my 'power valve ' solenoid parallel off the existing HP lockoff solenoid which has the safety time out feature when it sees a lack of ignition pulse
as such i let it time out twice ( which allows the wideband controller time to do its self cal ) by cycling the ignition key on off and then it fires up after a few cranks even at 2 centrigrade

i thinking im using the same location as pointed out by C3H8 for the power valve solenoid and looked hard at an impco VPV before deciding the ecu could switch it better and i could pill it for finesse
when the going is hard, don't retard, remember your lubrication