Understanding the types of conversions

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
imabass

Understanding the types of conversions

Post by imabass »

I currently have a 05 Toyota Camry 2.4L that i converted to LPG using a sequential injection kit. Installation and tuning was a piece of cake.

I have question about other types of conversions. I have a 99 Dodge Ram with 5.9L that I am planning to convert but trying to avoid the expensive injection kits. This truck is not driven much but when I do drive it is usually pulling a horse trailer.

I have a older carburetor style kit that was removed off of a 2 ton truck but my Dodge is a injection engine. Can I simply buy the correct size mixer for my air intake tube? Do i need a stepper motor?

Do I need a injector simulator or can I simply wire a power cutoff switch to the gasoline injectors & fuel pump? I was thinking about a 2 position switch that shuts off the gasoline injectors at the same time of activating the LPG solenoid. What controls the stepper motor? Is this a computer that reads the 02 sensor?

I also am converting my riding lawnmower, generator, and plan to convert my large diesel truck. I live in a area that propane is inexpensive and it make economical sense to convert all my stuff.

Frank
Site Admin

Re: Understanding the types of conversions

Post by Frank »

Welcome to the board! When you have a chance, please start a topic about your Camry.

Multiport fuel injected engines run a lot better with injection conversions. Using a mixer on this type of engine runs the risk of intake manifold backfires and you will definitely be getting CELs. Rather than an expensive injection kit, have you considered an economy injection kit instead as they don't cost much more than a fumigation kit with the now obsolete electronics (Dual Curve PN 59362).

One example of an economy kit is Technocarb's ESIP V8 LPG package with costs $1,425.41 and requires a $70.41 interface cable for configuration. One of our members (turbine guy), has installed one on his truck.
4.3L 2003 Sierra 1500 ESIP Installation
4.3L 2003 Sierra 1500 ESIP Operation (video)