forklift tank valves

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
flatblack

forklift tank valves

Post by flatblack »

Today i was out driving around and the truck broke up but stayed running, seemed like a fuel problem. I checked the tank and the valve was ice cold, i changed the tank to another full one and it was fine, ran good again, that tank didnt get cold at the valve. Does that mean the valve is bad on that tank since it got cold like that.

Steptoe

Re: forklift tank valves

Post by Steptoe »

Frezing up is caused by a sudden drop in pressure..not going into forula for now
If the valve was not fully open... not open enough to allow full flow there will be a pressure drop across the valve and freeze
This is all I can think of that could cause the problem.
A valve is a valve....
hmmm...the valve hasnt broken off inside, in a manner that it will close but not fully open???
Check the former 1st.
My Spelling is Not Incorrect...It's 'Creative'

flatblack

Post by flatblack »

when i turned it on it made a hissing sound for a few seconds, one that ive never heard before. i checked for leaks in the whole system and didnt find any with soapy water.

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

Turned on..yes that would be correct....the other tap freezed up the flow to engine restricted, and choughed till closed down run out of supply...none in the line...change to new tank turn on and the lines refill with liquid...when full pressure up hiss stops.

Like to see the checking for leaks..."when in doubt check it out" as my old man used to say

flatblack

Post by flatblack »

Should i get the valve changed in the tank..? I have 2 other smaller tanks, I was thinking should i have them all checked out and have the valves changed..? basicly inspected so i know what i have.

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

R u 100% sure the tap was opened up all the way?

Tanks in NZ BBQ and automotive must be re certified every 10yrs....any rust or protective paint chipped it is illegal to fill.
When they are certified all fittings are also checked.

DODGEN1

Post by DODGEN1 »

forklift and motor fuel tank service valves have a exess flow check valve in them. if not open all the way or to much draw or sudden opening the check valve will shut. the reduced flow thru the valve will make it vaporize at the valve and freeze.(FROST UP) valves vary from 1.2 gallon per min to 3.5 gallon per min. most fork lift bottles are 1.7 gpm. leaks can do the same thing causing frost to biuld at the leak. here forklift bottles are recertified ever ten years. full revalve. ive never had to due an inspection on any of our motor fuel systems. obviously a diference in regs

flatblack

Post by flatblack »

Ill have to reconnect that tank and open it all the way just to make totally sure it was all the way open. The hiss last time went for a while, i drove it and let it run for 20 min and it didnt freeze up then. The funny part tho was it reved up and then chugged like flow was cut down. Maybe the valve is stuck, im going to call and see how much it is to have the valve changed.

DODGEN1

Post by DODGEN1 »

where are you located?

flatblack

Post by flatblack »

north eastern pennsylvania

fordman2121

Post by fordman2121 »

Im haveing the same problem with my forklift tank but it only does it under about a half a tank. I know for a fact that it is sruned on all the way and ive purged it twice. Ive also got brass fittings with an adaptor to a flare, I dont think thats my problem because if I shut the tank off then turn it back on its good again untill I open the throttle up hard.

franz

Post by franz »

Your excess flow valve is checking closed. You confirmed it when you said you can close it off and reopen it it runs fine until you open the throttle hard.

flatblack

Post by flatblack »

How do you get it to stop checking closed..? Do i get it refilled and that will open it...? or does the valve need to be replaced..? maybe im looking to far into this..

franz

Post by franz »

If the liquid fuel valve is checking closed prematurely, it needs to be replaced. This should be performed by a qualified individual even though it looks simple. The cylinder MUST be totally empty when removing the valve.

Franz

flatblack

Post by flatblack »

I called the local fork lift place here, they will inspect and revalve for 35.00. I might get all my tanks done so i know what i have.