What else will I need for full on LPG conversion??

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
IWANTCHEAPGAS!

What else will I need for full on LPG conversion??

Post by IWANTCHEAPGAS! »

I'm going full on LPG. What will I need besides the mixer, (Impco CT425M-2)? :?:

I'm thinking this Mixer:

http://www.helmarparts.com/product_p/ct425m-2.htm

And what is the diferance between a generic EB-2 converter compared to Impco's?

http://www.helmarparts.com/product_p/eb-2.htm

Impco's converter:

http://www.helmarparts.com/product_p/eb-2-imp.htm

Now what else will I need? :mrgreen:
Last edited by IWANTCHEAPGAS! on Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of a 1981 V-6 carburated/turbocharged Buick Regal Sports Coupe for experimenting, modifying, and all around tinkering around with... :mrgreen:

Mattelderca

Re: What else will I need for full on LPG conversion??

Post by Mattelderca »

Let me see, you have a vapourizer and mixer so far.
Need to add a proper tank, fuel lock off, approved lines, coolant tee's, heater hose mounting brackets, vapour line and fittings.
Optional would be a closed loop controller, fuel gauge adapter, timing box (if required)
There are a bunch of little things but thats about what I remember.

400HPONGAS

Post by 400HPONGAS »

The EB-2 is the vaporizer . Its actually a Furphy . Its made up of combining a Impco E , and the Australian knock-off , the B2
So when you order it , you might get the Impco E or its equivalent the LG products B2 , basically the same dog,just a different leg action .LOL
Try here
http://www.lgmotorgas.com.au/products.htm
The 425 mixer you have suggested is the closed loop model , as Mattelderca has said you will need the Controller and the ECu , and a TPS and a O2 sensor

Mattelderca

Post by Mattelderca »

Of course some of this hinges on the make / model of car or truck your converting.
In my case for example, 78 Chrysler 400 cid big block with no emissions requirements and no cat installed, I could get away with just the 425, E, VFF30 lock off, lines and tank. Simple and effective. YMMV!

IWANTCHEAPGAS!

Post by IWANTCHEAPGAS! »

Mattelderca wrote:Of course some of this hinges on the make / model of car or truck your converting. In my case for example, 78 Chrysler 400 cid big block with no emissions requirements and no cat installed, I could get away with just the 425, E, VFF30 lock off, lines and tank. Simple and effective. YMMV!
Yep same here. V-6 Turbocharged engine, (carburated). HEI distributer, basic CCC design. Minumal sensors (4) TPS, MCS, O2 and TCC . No need to keep ECU operation or emissions system, (not needed in my state).

After-market MSD timing control, (works with or w/o ECU to include aftermarket mixture control gauge).
400HPONGAS wrote:....The 425 mixer you have suggested is the closed loop model , as Mattelderca has said you will need the Controller and the ECu , and a TPS and a O2 sensor
Do I need to get all that Stuff?.

I want to keep it simple like Mattaderca wrote on his set-up..
Mattelderca wrote:In my case for example, 78 Chrysler 400 cid big block with no emissions requirements and no cat installed, I could get away with just the 425, E, VFF30 lock off, lines and tank. Simple and effective. YMMV!

So break it down what are the minumum parts needed?
Proud owner of a 1981 V-6 carburated/turbocharged Buick Regal Sports Coupe for experimenting, modifying, and all around tinkering around with... :mrgreen:

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

Quick list of parts. Keep in mind that the list is dependent on this being a draw through system. The model E or clone made by Nolff is not made to be pressurized. The 425 is really only made to stand a few pounds of pressure. Draw through systems avoid thiese issues.

Main Parts needed:
Mixer, adapter to the intake, Air filter for 425 (AF1-15), convertor (IMPCO model E or equivalent), electric lockoff (ADV 121), electronic control to shut off lock off if engine stalls or key is turned on wiithout starting engine, IMPCO SV primer.

Fittings:
Vapour hose at mixer and convertor F4-1 2 required
Water fittings F4-17 2 required
Lockoff to convertor 122B 1 required 1/4 " NPT nipple
Brass fitting to flare hose 48-6B (straight) or 49-6B (90 degree)
Vapour hose Gan VH-16
Type 3 hose from lock off to tank (As required)
Tank with electric service valve
Remote fill connections and brackets

IWANTCHEAPGAS!

Post by IWANTCHEAPGAS! »

C3H8 wrote:....electric lockoff (ADV 121), electronic control to shut off lock off if engine stalls or key is turned on wiithout starting engine, IMPCO SV primer.....
Ok what are those for and were can I find them, (or, if I absolutly need them....keep in mine this is a Florida car).
Also, my turbo is a factory draw thru design, so is the mixer/converters I'm looking at, (links provided on my first posting), compatible?

Thanks!

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

The following article might give you some more ideas:

Model 425 Mono-fuel Carburetion

IWANTCHEAPGAS!

Post by IWANTCHEAPGAS! »

Seems like the most difficult leap here is:
..you will still need to visit a mechanic who can certify that your DIY conversion meets provincial or state safety standards. This certification will allow you to fill your vehicle with fuel. Do NOT drive the car until has been certified to be properly converted.

In Florida....it's difficult to find anything on certifying converted LPG vehicles. Especially an old beater like my 1981 daily driver. :(

Good info there Frank...