1969 F-250 390 c.i. CrewCab 4x4 LPG conversion

Tell us what you have on the go!
69F250CrewCab4x4

1969 F-250 390 c.i. CrewCab 4x4 LPG conversion

Post by 69F250CrewCab4x4 »

I'm working on converting my pickup to LPG. I've picked up an 80 gal. tank. I work hauling propane, and can get parts from my company for the conversion. At some point, I'd like to turbo it (I have the kit already), with the propane also. I'm just stumped on if blow through, or draw through, is best??? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

other projects include:
'68 Camaro SS396 (have 396&427 Vette engines)
'66 Yenko Stinger #YS-100 Corvair RoadRacer

69F250CrewCab4x4

Thanks for the warm & fuzzy welcome!!

C3H8

4X4

Post by C3H8 »

Hmmm!!! You seem a little ticked. I can see why, however this area of the forum is less traveled then others. The most frequent area checked is the Propane forum. Most of the members seem to head here automatically and only check the project area once in a while. The propane forum area already has a lot of info on turbo projects. The easiest turbo method is draw through. A blow through requires dealing with balancing the mixer, regulator and possibly the lockoff. If you post your original post in the propane forum section I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the response. Usually the members are looking for pictures, etc, of projects ongoing in this area. A belated welcome to you. Don't get discouraged. Just try your post in the propane forum area.

Frank
Site Admin

Welcome to the Board!

Post by Frank »

C3H8 is right about asking for advice in the projects section. You will likely find that you'll get more of a response in the propane forum than here. As for blow-through or draw-through, each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Because a propane mixer meters fuel on volumetric flow rather than mass flow of air, a draw-through set-up could easily exceed the flow rating of the mixer. A blow-through set-up, while a bit more involved allows you to leave the mixer on the intake manifold and would be less likely to run out of breath. However, the maximum boost level on a blow-through arrangement is around 8 psi due to limitations in the design of the converter.

What far along are you with converting your truck?

69F250CrewCab4x4

Actually....not ticked. I figured I'd get some kind of response! Great site guys! Alot of very knowledgeable people, and great information available here!!

I'm not far along on the conversion on my truck. I have the tank, have the turbo kit, and a fresh pair of cylinder heads with hard seats to install. I was thinking on a camshaft change? Was also thinking about raising the compression ratio, if I were to not install the turbo? I think I'd rather use the turbo, and leave the pistons alone. Ak Millers shop had told me that this turbo would make 5-8 lbs of boost. I live at 6000' altitude, so I need all the help that I can get.

Thanks for all the info. guys!!
-------
Rick

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

I figured I'd get some kind of response!
The edicate is to simply to type "bump"
This then puts the thread back to the top of the post list.
I did miss the initial post also....and /Im not qualified to comment on the subject

69F250CrewCab4x4

Steptoe wrote:
I figured I'd get some kind of response!
The edicate is to simply to type "bump"
This then puts the thread back to the top of the post list.
I did miss the initial post also....and /Im not qualified to comment on the subject
Thanks! Actually......I don't think it ever left the top of the post list.

I'll remember the "bump" deal for future use.

Happy Easter!
---------
Rick

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

Forums generally have concept rules
The "bump" one and caps lock is like shouting...sort of rude..
Dont every flame or insult anyone...Admins get real upset at that...
Thu one can push the limits by saying what someones says 'stupid' If going that route, make sure u REALLY have backed up the statement.
Behind the scenes, in the admin area the Admin logs in as 'god' and at the end of the day they are....the own the domain name, its their site, their BW

"Top of the list"...
A 'normal' practice is to head straight to the index page. here it is
index.php
Towards the top on the right, if logged in is a link
"View posts since last visit"
Very useful
Thats what I meant about "top of the list"

Another consideration is time Zones..ie while some are posting others are at work or asleep.
This poses another issue...Since it is still yesterday where you are (Sat) and is Midday Sunday here we get your posts made tomorrow, today.... :shock: :wink:
Hence 9/11 was really 10/11