Hydrogen from Pennsylvania coal for New York cars?...

Hydrogen, H2 Vehicle Fuel
DMartin

Hydrogen from Pennsylvania coal for New York cars?...

Post by DMartin »

Hi to all the forumers
If we want clean environment to save our health then this is a good view!

My opinion is that an idea can make a fossil fuel environmentally good or wrong !
Infact if we use coal to produce hydrogen to power New York cars(far from New York...), we will have a great clean city !!!

Energetically the process is good infact our cars would use clean coal at an efficiency of about 25%...

Opinions?

hydrokevin

Re: Hydrogen from Pennsylvania coal for New York cars?...

Post by hydrokevin »

Many people have talked about using clean coal technology to produce hydrogen and some researchers are working on this. The issue becomes what to do with the left over CO2. One idea is to put it in old oil wells which will help pump extra oil out of the ground and then it can be sequestered afterwards.

Frank
Site Admin

Re: Hydrogen from Pennsylvania coal for New York cars?...

Post by Frank »

Welcome to the board!

I've read about H2 production from coal but, with coal being so carbon-rich, I would expect that H2 would be relatively small compared to the amount of CO2 generated. I think a better and cheaper source for H2 is flared-off methane from oil wells. The CO2 produced from this process could be used to enhance oil production without having to transport CO2 from clean coal processes or having to build a clean coal plant at a spent oil well site.