1989 W124 300TE Mercedes wagon

Let's hear all the gory details about your car and how it became alternative fuelled.
oz 300te

1989 W124 300TE Mercedes wagon

Post by oz 300te »

Hi everyone,
I have just had lpg installed placing the gas tank where the original petrol tank was. The floor had to be reshaped slightly to accommodate the tank. And giving as much ground clearance as possible. The tank is a 68 liter usable.

Converter is a Impco "L" and the mixer is a 200.
The LPG installer made an adapter to fit the mixer directly to the top of the CIS fuel injection assembly.
In Australia you can't install LPG yourself you need an accredited installer.

Stock ignition was retained.

The car goes extremely well, up to 3000rpm it is as good as petrol or slightly better, over that Petrol would be slightly better. Fuel economy on lpg 13litres/100km highway sitting on 110km/h.
Covering 330km on Sunday costing $18 if this was using petrol cost would've been $60-70.

Future upgrades will be to fit a M90 supercharger from a Thunderbird using around 5psi of boost, EDIS-6 ignition using megajolt controller and removing the CIS injection completely and fitting the mixer directly on top of the throttle body.
I have all of these components just need to find the time to install it.

It appeared that this install had never been done before and finding someone to do it was difficult.
Eventually I found an installer who seemed competent and was willing to do the job.
Normally the lpg tank is a toroidal replacing the spare wheel or the tank is just sitting on the floor in the back, either one is a waste of time to me.
Doing it this way means the car hasn't changed at all and no compromise has been made apart from completely losing the ability to run on petrol.

I'll post some pictures if anyone is interested.
Here are the pics.
Thanks,
Grant.
Last edited by oz 300te on Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Frank
Site Admin

Welcome to the board!

Post by Frank »

Yes, photos are always welcome. Try to keep to photos to 640x480 pixels in size.

ssalonga

Post by ssalonga »

oz 300TE,

greetings from Manila!

I am working on a W123 with the M102 engine. Have secured a CA125, Model L vaporizer and VFF 30 filter lock for a bi-fuel application.

I would be grateful to get more pictures and stories of your experience to guide me as we get ready to finally fire this baby up. I had a similar experience getting someone to work on the Mercedes as practically no one has done one over here yet. We are about 15 years behind on Propane conversions and have practically no government regulation on the installations, and very little industry expertise, at the moment.

Hoping to hear from you soon!

regards,

steve

oz 300te

Post by oz 300te »

Hi Steve,
There's not much more to tell.
I used it on the weekend to tow a trailer of about 1300kg, traveled around 600km and returned 20l/100km.
Pretty happy with that.

As for your car I need more details, what capacity is the motor?