93 Chev 1 Ton 4by4-454

Let's hear all the gory details about your car and how it became alternative fuelled.
morgas

93 Chev 1 Ton 4by4-454

Post by morgas »

Hello Everyone. I bought the truck new, put 5000 klicks on it, and then converted to propane. The truck was pretty gutless as stock, it only had 230hp, I'm not sure what it had for torque, but it had the small round port heads, which helped torque.

So the conversion at the time was as follows: Impco vapourizer and fuel lockoff. OHG 450 mixer modified to work with the Impco,Impco would not fit under the hood.This sat on top of the stock manifold and throttle body and adapter plate, with a K&N air cleaner. A 300L tank was placed in the box and SS tubing was used for the plumbing. To make it all run was a Auto tronics SuperFix and the GM Timing optimizer. Doug Thorley exhuast Headers and chopped the Cat converter,sorry greenies. At the time there was no GuvmentAir Care in BC. Now there is , but it only applies to the city folk.A couple years ago I went for an Air Care test, it's the cheapest dyno around,and passed with no problem.I digress. A couple years after the conversion I added a Jacobs Ultra coil, which helped a little, noticed it in top end.I then proceeded to pul a 30 ft Citation around Western Canada and the Good ole US of A.Then after that I used it for a Daily Driver untill TSHTF :D

Pulling a 5 ton fith wheel in the mountains was interesting. Going up the Frazer canyon I wound her out and it pulled okay, never took it up the Coquihalla. I was down in Nevada going to Kalifornia up the mountains and put the temp guage into the red a couple of times.That was interesting. On the flat it ran like a BC ferry,I like to keep the speed or a little extra,so it took a good long pull to get up to 110 km/h ;and I held it; sometimes even in overdrive; but any slight hill and I would have to shift down. It was under powered, the gvw was overloaded slightly, and it was underbraked, you ever see a Ferry stop. But I managed. And it was exhilerating/panick at the same time. So I learned how I would RV the next time, and also got some propane experince.

I want to add that this was a straight propane setup, no dual fuel funny business, at the time these vehicles were not optimized for dual fuel, later on around 96 the puters were easier to work with. I would go propane only either way. The truck had 270 000km on it before tshtf.