Multi carb setup

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
johnyac

Multi carb setup

Post by johnyac »

Greetings,
New to the forum. Has anyone done a multi carb set? I have a chey 250 inline with an offy 3x1 (three one barrel carbs) setup. I like the look and going propane would make it even more unique:

http://www.propanecarbs.com/impco/55ser ... retor.html

John C.
65 Chevelle 2dr wagon Project

alehander

Post by alehander »

Lenin zhil, Lenin zhiv, Lenin budet zhit'

oz 300te

Post by oz 300te »

The way I see it, going with a multi carb lpg setup may not give you the benefits you get from doing this with petrol.
Single carb (liquid fuel) on a inline engine usually won't distribute the fuel evenly to all cylinders. So going to multi-carbs usually eliminates the uneven fuel distribution and allows for more airflow.
LPG being a vapour mixes easily with air, so all cylinders should receive the same quantities of air and fuel.
So the only benefit I see is better airflow and tunnel ram effect (and looks?) but only if the standard manifold is restrictive.
Last edited by oz 300te on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989 Mercedes 300te, 3.0 litre 6 cyl. Impco 200 mixer and "L" converter.
Australia.

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

Someone posted a similar question on the Slant Six forum but was looking a a pair of carburetors rather than three:

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26303

I suggested that he have a look at a dual propane carb setup on a 245 Studebacker I came across on the HAMB.

I think three carbs (CT60 or CA100) might be a bit much but it'll probably work fine if you can stage them so it starts off on the center carb. Also, on an earlier post about air-cooled engines, C3H8 recommended the CT60 as a better alternative to the CA55.

oz 300te

Post by oz 300te »

Sorry, looks like I misunderstood the manifold he was using.
I thought it was an individual runner type with one carb feeding two cylinders.
1989 Mercedes 300te, 3.0 litre 6 cyl. Impco 200 mixer and "L" converter.
Australia.

jono

Post by jono »

Hi, I run a subaru EA81 motor with factory twin hitachis, each with two throttles. I retained the carbs and made a steel box to sit on top feeding remotely from a Impco 125 mixer and a J cobra. It is simply 100 x 50 mm box steel capped at each end and fed from the middle. Goes great with even mixtures , even locked all four throttles in at open so have a quad throttle quadrazontal LPG straight gas motor.