dual fuel carb gasket

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
kitb

dual fuel carb gasket

Post by kitb »

I have a gm 350 and am running dual fuel, edlebrock carb, performer intake manifold and an impco 425. I run propane most the time but every night i turn it back to gas so it will start easier in the morning, and the carb will be full of gas so the seals don't go bad. I have been having a problem with the gasket between the carb and the intake manifold. it starts leaking every 3 weeks and then it has to be replaced. I figure its from the lp drying it out? The gaskets i've been using are the standard Mr Gasket type. are these not good enough? should I use black permatex? or cork? any ideas?
thanks in advance!

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

I have used Dedicated LPG on 350 with performer manifold for over 20yrs, never had a leak...
1/ Do you torque your carb down? If u dont u risk warping the surfaces
2/Check the surfaces are not warped, if they are resurface them on a sheet of glass, about 100 grit wet dry and kerosene...or get them machined

3/ carb manifolds no not require sealant...applying a very thin film of oil to each surface stops the gaskets sticking when dis assembly

4/ One can use something like locktite gasket sealer....again be very careful how much u use, if it spreads inwards up can have problems
the carb will be full of gas so the seals don't go bad.
LPG is inert...it doesnt dry out or attack seals

Mattelderca

Post by Mattelderca »

I'm with Steptoe,
Check to make sure the carb base is not warped, put it on a true flat surface or use a straight edge across it. measure across the bolt holes diagonally. I use a THIN coat of silicone grease on my gaskets, just to keep them from sticking.

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

Check to make sure the carb base is not warped, put it on a true flat surface or use a straight edge across it.
This is the normal method...
Placing on a sheet of glass and a little sand paper, the give a bit of a rub. the less experienced person can then 'see' the high and low spots.