Conversion complete, tank won't take fuel! HELP!

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
sleepybu

Post by sleepybu »

i was told by Greg's in Langley that aeroquip doesn't make LPG hose anymore :x

gravespropane

Post by gravespropane »

I just noticed this post and have some concerns about the remote fill on your forklift tank. It looks like you have a 3/4" low pressure bushing x whatever to get you to your hose. Is this correct? If I were you I would install another filler valve back into the tank. If your hose were to burst there is nothing to stop the tank from emptying its entire contents into the passenger compartment (1 part liquid is 270 parts vapor). The filler valve, as Franz stated, has two parts to it. It has a back-check feature that prevents this from happening. I cannot stress enough that you need to change this.
There is an adapter that screws onto the filler valve that can get you to your hose. (which basically replaces your bushing) Marshall Excelsior makes one its part number is me635-4. If you cant find one I will get you one so you don't die. Let me know.

John

alehander

Post by alehander »

John, thank you for your concern, but I've caught so much flack for this install, it's not likely to be driven any time soon until I find a proper (cheap) in-vehicle tank.

I did exactly what you describe - bush the fill valve hole & remote-mount the valve on the car body. I've done the same to the 20% valve, though it's not shown in the pics.

I would need to install a check valve on the filler line @ the tank, as you suggest, to secure the fill line against a rupture. The 20% line has the same problem, though there's no way I can think of to secure it since it needs to flow "out" under normal filling conditions.

Incidentally, I took a few steps in anticipation of a leak - the trunk is sealed off from the passenger compartment & the trunk floor, previously occupied by the gasoline tank, is now a gaping hole covered with grating (not a solid sheet). I don't know how far this would go towards venting a leak - any thoughts? I'll reiterate that I'm not going to run the car "as is", but I'm curious if this is a legitimate safeguard.

Thanks again, -A
Lenin zhil, Lenin zhiv, Lenin budet zhit'

alehander

Twin CA-100 upgrade

Post by alehander »

The car's been upgraded to a set of twin CA-100 mixers. Photos and details in the My Car section. -Alex
Lenin zhil, Lenin zhiv, Lenin budet zhit'

C3H8

Lines

Post by C3H8 »

This post is getting pretty long but a clarification on lines. Lines in Canada have to be Type III and have crimped on ends. They need to be labeled by the shop that is certified to make them. That's the rule. Why? In the early 80's hydraulic lines were used. Strength wise they were fine but hydraulic hose has an allowable seepage rate. Allowable seepage does not compute with propane. Secondly the line used to have ends installed by the dealer. Unfortunately some could not grasp the correct way to install the ends or did not have the correct tools. This led to many close calls due to leakage. Because of this the use of crimped ends and CSA approved assemblies came into being with LPG hose being built with a Teflon inner liner in it to prevent seepage. As for an earlier statement on red tape. The rules for installing LPG are actually quite brief in Canada. The only rules added since 1980 have been to address direct issues related to a safety concern. Many of us don't like to have rules forced on us but sometimes it is for the safety of all. Lastly the reason there is a limited number of hose makers is the liability issues that the original manufacturers feared. Their experience with installers that built poor assemblies led to court cases and they left the market due to the volume of hose vs the risk. This left enough volume for a couple of the manufacturers to accept the risk and insurance premiums related to it.

sleepybu

Post by sleepybu »

good show... :D