QUICK START>

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
Stoney

QUICK START>

Post by Stoney »

Hey Gang nice to be aboard,I own a 1953 Chev pickup , 1975 sbc on propane.I have never had an issue until now,I installed an edelbrock performer intake, and now it won' start.I have an impco vff 30 and a 425 not sure of what you call them.I have the vff to manifold vacuum.If I hit it with some Quick start it fires up and runs perfect. any help would be appreciated

Stoney

Re: QUICK START>

Post by Stoney »

O.K, I have a Impco VFF30 fuel lock an OHG X 1 vaporizer and a Impco 425 mixer.Could it be the vff 30 fuel lock malfunctioning ? So when starting there is less manifold vacume than when it is running , therefore when starting with Quick Start it fires creating more manifold vacume and the fuel lock opens. Am I on the right track ?

Stoney

Post by Stoney »

O.K. I am learning on the go. A vff30 fuel shut off, an OHG X-1 vaporizer and a OHG 450 mixer.That being said I can suck on the fuel shut off and can hear it open.Should I smell fuel ? I can not smell any thing. I will keep you posted.

Stoney

Post by Stoney »

Sorry, my mistake.Update I rebuilt the vff 30 fuel filter cut off switch , found about a teaspoon of rust.Put it back on and had the same problem.Then it came to me.I was using manifold vacuum.I then switched to a ported vacuum and........................"BINGO"..problem solved.I will not post in the wrong place again .Thank you.

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

Pretty good. It's not often we have someone post and solve their own issue in seven minutes. Just to be clear though. The VFF30 is a vacuum operated lock off and filter. The recommended vacuum source is throttle body vacuum (low vacuum). It only takes negative pressure of 1.5" water column to open the lock off. That's less pressure then it takes to suck water up a straw. In some areas in the world full manifold vacuum is used where outside temps drop to -20 to -30C. Various opinions say manifold works better at those temps but its never really been proven. Like others I have had some vehicles that appear to start better with manifold vacuum but the exact reason could be many things. In your case it is strange that full cause a problem but as long as its working stick with it.