Goodness me !!

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
jono

Goodness me !!

Post by jono »

OK. I have not changed this filter since it was new nine years and 120,000 km ago. I have never found more than a pinch of crud in them ever in nearly thirty years. Only found this stuff when I shook the lock off as I rekitted my Impco J

That dark fur ball in front of the element is the small magnet!!
Attachments
MED lock off filter chockers!!
MED lock off filter chockers!!

BigBlockMopar

Re: Goodness me !!

Post by BigBlockMopar »

Coming form water/condensation in the tank?
https://www.bigblockmopar.com
'73 Dodge Dart - 360ci - 11.3:1cr
MegaSquirt + HEI 7-pin timing control - Edelbrock AirGap - Cold Air Intake
IMPCO E / 425 mixer - A518 OD-trans - 3.55 gears - 225/50/17" tires.

storm

Post by storm »

BigBlockMopar wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:47 am
Coming form water/condensation in the tank?
There have been a few cases in Australia where the tanks haven't been cleaned out properly after being manufactured. I've never seen anything this bad but I'd suggest it is possible quality control forgot to check the tank before it was freighted.
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

jono

Post by jono »

Pretty sure I have replaced, no I have only recently replaced internal level unit for tank sender and was clean as a whistle inside. It has also had a ten year inspection internally and new safety valve.

Sticks to magnet is black not rusty brown.

Thought it was wear n tear on fuel suppliers transfer equipment, another theory is the metals reaction to the gas inside it

Something to keep an eye on in future.

BTW did not affect performance!

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

Its called iron oxide. It may not have come from your tank but it is hard to get rid of it. Your filter is doing a pretty good job of trapping it but there is also probably a pretty fair amount getting through. The good news is it burns off easily without impacting the engine. We had a pretty sever problem with a fleet of vehicles in the 1980. An investigation we carried out with the tank manufacturer indicated it was caused by the scrubbing action of the propane. On the tanks the manufacturer suspected this batch of tanks were made from a sheet of steel that was not treated properly and the propane was scrubbing fine material off the interior wall. These tanks did it from brand new and it only occurred on the newest conversions. We changed the tank and the problem was solved. This same issue could happen in a storage tank at the filling station or somewhere else farther up the chain. From there it is transferred from tank to tank until it reaches your tank. It may be a temporary situation until the oxides make it through the system completely.