400SBC/300A choking questions

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
kuchen

Re: 400SBC/300A choking questions

Post by kuchen »

The spring setting is very sensitive, and misadjustment leads to the fault which gave that carby its nickname: Quadrabog.
Only a small sping tension change is needed here. Sorry for not pointing that out earlier.

Billhilly

Post by Billhilly »

kuchen wrote:there is a depression caused by that mixer that does interfere with the Quadrajets secondary air flaps. Tweaking the spring load did the job for me.

Still going back and forth on this....Spring is now nearly back to where I started with no change. Just to clarify that I am interpreting this correctly, the mixer 'reduces' vacuum so I need to reduce spring pressure to compensate? I'm assuming......

kuchen

Post by kuchen »

Yes, that's the theory behind it. Discussed that a few month ago:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1663&hilit=spring+quadrajet

Billhilly

Post by Billhilly »

Man I know how to drag out a simple job huh!... Nearly eleven months mucking with this. I apologise for not updating sooner.
I never did win with adjusting the springs on the air flap. I went back and forth (tighter/looser) twice but couldn't get any improvement. Obviously, in some situations it works. As usual, for me, not so much! I also tried attaching a tube to the carb breather, and then actually drilling a hole in the adapter adjacent to the breather, but still no luck. After more deliberating (procrastinating) I bought an offset adapter and modified it to work. I offset the adapter over the primaries and did get an improvement! Still a little rich under hard acceleration but it took the collapse from 12 to 10 (on the O2 gauge) away and eliminated the stutter. Finally some progress! Pic of adapter installed....

Then, just a couple of weeks ago I actually got the LPG system filled! Way to drag that job out too! Got it starting and running good, but am struggling with tuning/O2 levels, and (excessive) fuel consumption. If I could direct you gentlemen over here - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1719 What are your thoughts on this?
Attachments
20170529_141028 (480x640).jpg