ASME vs dot forklift tanks

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
C3H8

ASME vs dot forklift tanks

Post by C3H8 »

Referring tanks. There are two basic kind of LPG tanks excluding the tiny cylinders used on camp stoves, lights, etc. These are Department of Transport approved tanks (DOT) and American Society of Mechanical Engineered (ASME) tanks. In Canada an additional category exists basically identical to DOT labelled TCC. DOT and TCC approved tanks include bottles and forklift tanks. Neither is acceptable for use on licensed vehicles for engine fuel that travel on public roadways. All vehicles must use ASME tanks for road and highway use. The same law applies in Canada and the USA. This regulation is stated in the B149.5 regulations in Canada and the Federal regulation book NFPA 58 (National Fire Protection Association) in the USA.

Why: ASME tanks are designed to withstand the force of an accident. The walls are substantially thicker then bottles or fork lift tanks. The brackets that mount the tank are designed to be stronger, again in case of a collision. Bottles and Forklift tanks were designed for fixed use such as a BBQ or for slow speed use such as a forklift. How effective is an ASME tank? I once had a customer with a 50 gallon side mounted tank on a 5 ton truck that was broad sided directly on the tank by a Ford LTD. The LTD was totaled. The tank was inspected and OK'd for use after repainting. The brackets were not even broken.

The regulations above are federal and apply to the country. Some provinces and states add amendments with additional rules but non I know of allow the elimination of a federal regulation. An example would be the minimum labeling required on an LPG vehicle. Some states might have additional labeling required. I don't have it at my fingertips but I can quote the exact code from the book if I have to.

geraldm

Re: ASME vs dot forklift tanks

Post by geraldm »

If I was building a car like that I would use a LP tank from a motor home or the like they are legal for road use ( In Canada they never need to be re certified ) and I'm sure you could pull up to a propane store and have them fill the tank with the machine sitting on a trailer , there are a few different sizes and IMO they would be a good and safe vessel to use and legal ( even if it needed to be re certified so what ), they have built in level gauges so no guessing on how much fuel is in it and if you had the proper connector you could have a barbecue after the races . There were many 1/2 ton truck converted to propane in the 70's and 80's I still see the odd one coming up for sale usually complete with reg and all they are also a so called highway tank those tanks would also do a great job . Just my opinion Boss don't beat me up to bad . :wink:
Now how the hell did that happen ?

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

9 Lashes with a wet noodle Ger. :D
Actually, all LPG tanks in Canada have to be inspected at set intervals. Example: BBQ tanks every 10 years; ASME tanks every 5 years. FL tanks are DOT or TCC, so every 10 years. Even the storage tanks used commercially require periodic inspection. This being said, many times the fueling centers fail to check the dates on tanks and this specifically applies to MH tanks because of there physical location. MH tanks are usually ASME built but they are frequently enclosed and usually only have vapour outlets so they aren't suitable for engine use other than small generators. The exception to this would be motorhome tanks that have openings for both liquid and vapour. These could be found on larger MH's and the liquid opening was just plugged.

The key here is rules and regulations are only as good as the system. Most fueling stations have teens working part time. Even though they take a course on what to look for either they don't bother to look or they are too timid to say they can't fill it because the tank is out of date. To avoid this confrontation they just don't look unless the tank is so badly rusted or damaged it can't be ignored. The irony of the situation. Government bodies make up regulations to ensure safety. The intent is good but the companies and employees have to be willing to act on the regulation.

fpvmustang

Post by fpvmustang »

my mh tank has 2 vapor and 1 liquid 25 gallon usable. on some asme tanks swapping a liquid valve in would be a simple service.

My understanding on asme tanks in the states is no inspections required. they recommend the valves be replaced on a interval.
I know there is no inspection interval on the school districts asme tanks on school buses.
Now the county does inspect business pressure vessels. Air compressor propane etc.
but not residential there are a few asme residential tanks that have dirt covering there bottom 1/4 serviced by Amerigas.