Propane pollution

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
storm

Re: Propane pollution

Post by storm »

jono wrote:If you have looked after your ullage valve container there is no law to prevent the conatiner from remaining in service in the AS1425 as far as I understand.
I'll get my copy out but I'm pretty sure it is not legal in Australia, at least, to have an old style tank in a registered vehicle anymore.
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

sgtlethargic

Post by sgtlethargic »

Steptoe wrote:...

So unless your filling station has some sort of 3rd world archaic filling method, (and if actually concerned would find a station that is more appropriate to your concerns)
There is no stir or even issue.
Are you being hostile?

There aren't propane fuel stations in the U.S. that I am aware of.

sgtlethargic

Post by sgtlethargic »

storm wrote:...
sgtlethargic wrote:Now that I've been thinking about it, it's more the fill hose on the propane distributor's side of the equation. The hose is pressurized and they bleed it off to atmosphere when done filling up (so they can disconnect), which is going by when the "spit valve" ejects liquid. My car has always been filled this way, at propane distributors, in the U.S.
So your car hasn't vented to the atmosphere from the tank? Then you have an automatic fill shut off and the bleed you talk about is the LPG that is between the trigger and the fill valve. If it fills a medicine cup (30ml) I'd be very surprised and I would suggest more is wasted in petrol vapour coming back up the filler neck when filling a petrol tank.
By spit valve I mean the vent on the car's tank for 80% liquid.

Good point about gasoline vapors. Here in California they have a vapor recovery system on the fuel nozzle.

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

Are you being hostile?
Ether down under on the A hole of the world in the middle of a huge ocean we are yrs ahead of technology in America or we just dont suffer fools as politely...
And down under we call a spade a spade.. for digging and a shovel a shovel.. for shoveling what ever out of stables...
Either hostile doesnt enter into it... thu some may take offense cause dont like bottom line stuff with all the PC BS removed.
3rd world archaic filling methods of fill .. thats what u have...call it what is ....
My Spelling is Not Incorrect...It's 'Creative'

sgtlethargic

Post by sgtlethargic »

Steptoe wrote:
Are you being hostile?
Ether down under on the A hole of the world in the middle of a huge ocean we are yrs ahead of technology in America or we just dont suffer fools as politely...
And down under we call a spade a spade.. for digging and a shovel a shovel.. for shoveling what ever out of stables...
Either hostile doesnt enter into it... thu some may take offense cause dont like bottom line stuff with all the PC BS removed.
3rd world archaic filling methods of fill .. thats what u have...call it what is ....
You most likely are advanced when it comes to propane because it's a "redheaded stepchild" of a fuel here- it's mostly used for forklifts, barbecuing, and in rural homes. And a reason I brought it up is because I think we can do better.

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

Thankyou....
The methods that u describe where u are are.. compared to the basic min legal requirements in this country and think Aussie and most ECU countries, be it a BBQ, forkhoist, automotive, house hold whatever... the vent/ bleed screws are not used....
As mentioned in posts above....even economics.. profitability is a huge motivation let alone any possible environmental.... and (not yet mentioned) potential safety danger issue.
Also it is illegal to vent into the atmosphere....in plants where they repair survey.....ALL residual gas must be transferred to holding tanks in an approved manner....which again is done by pumps, sealed system.

And if those methods are 3rd world std....thats what they are
And follows that the environmental stds, safety stds and financial side are also 3rd world.

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

Any kind of a pollution should be considered and I am sure no matter where we go there will be this problem . that said I'm betting that propane pollution is minimal at fueling stations , .. has anyone ever considered how much is blasted into the atmosphere from any number of products and would think the exhaust end of things compared to gasoline , remember the propane creates very few harmful components when burned compared to gasoline . and yes I believe that leaky tanks and so on are far worse that people think hell walk through a campsite in the summertime , you can smell it everywhere .

the amount of hair spray used in one or two major cities in the US. in one day , ( and you all know how our ladies like to look shinny ) creates far more propane pollution than any filling station ever will world wide , spray paint , spray engine cleaners , here's a good one BRAKE CLEANER , carb cleaners , we all have probably a minimum of 10 products that do more propane pollution that filling stations , many things to chase before propane filling stations become #1 bad boy . different propellents are being used now but there are countries with billions of people that still use the same . What was it Pierre Burton said ( If we bottled all the burps and farts in north america there would be enough methane gas to heat the world ). I believe the automotive end of propane pollution is a much smaller factor compared to the rest . Ok I got my hard hat on you can throw stones now .
Now how the hell did that happen ?

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

Dont think u need a hard at at all..
Maybe a tweak here and there but certainly doesnt alter the basis of your statements..
and yes I believe that leaky tanks and so on are far worse that people think hell walk through a campsite in the summertime , you can smell it everywhere
u will most properly find that smell is due to poorly adjusted flames or breeze causing incomplete burns....
different propellents are being used now but there are countries with billions of people that still use the same .
Im pretty sure the ban of freons as propellents is damn near world wide, basically due to initial company policies of multi nationals like S.C Johnson near 40 yrs ago and followed by manufacture and import restriction then placed by governments...

Thu Freon is still used in the refrigeration/ air con industries with very strict conditions if enforced...and still of major concern.
Can remove your hard hat :wink:

jono

Post by jono »

and...isn't the pollution gonna be hanging around our ankles rather than up higher in the atmosphere and forever looking for a drain to fall down as it disperses due to its heavier than air properties ??

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

Not sure what you mean by that
and...isn't the pollution gonna be hanging around our ankles rather than up higher in the atmosphere and forever looking for a drain to fall down as it disperses due to its heavier than air properties ??

Yes its heavier then air but it is easily dispersed by even a light breeze. Compared to gasoline that pollutes the ground, runoff water, streams and lakes LPG is basically harmless in its vapour state. Its non toxic, doesn't contaminate the ground or water supplies.

bumpstart

Post by bumpstart »

it is also leaking out, in vast quantities a thousand times more than every disconnecting pump nozzle
everyday
from natural sources , under seas, lakes , wells , wetlands forests and deserts

and has been for millions of years

and will continue to do so . regardless what we do with it

and also from man made venting and flaring sources like refinerys and well heads and frac activities

and from the POV of it burning relatively cleanly
but also from the environmental impact of the processes that take it from the ground and make it available for use at the pump

then it is pretty innocuous compared to the impacts ..social and environmental from petrol and diesel and ethanol
when the going is hard, don't retard, remember your lubrication