dyno testing lpg 1.4 turbo 8 valve

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
ivanhoew

dyno testing lpg 1.4 turbo 8 valve

Post by ivanhoew »

back once again ...

fitted a slightly larger t25 turbo on the astra ,and did a day of testing on the chassis dyno ,it seems to be quite good ,

i did a bit of experimentation with timing and mixture ,and thought it might be of interest...

bearing in mind its on lpg ,so around 5 to 10% less powerful than petrol,i would say it would make 170 to 180 on petrol .

i went through various steps....

heres a boost log ...pk boost at pk bhp is 10 psi.

firstly tried a multitude of mixtures ,here are a couple...

then a test on ignition timing ..there may be a little more to get here , but im playing it a bit safe ,and remember ,boost rises from 7 to 10 psi but most of the time its between 7.5 and 9.5.

then a comparison between turbo's and over the days progress scaled to show max detail..

lastly power and torque on a 0 scale to show real smoothness levels .

boost log for last runs ...psi bit higher at 10.477psi.boost control seems erratic!

then i had a play with low rpm torque i raised and lowered timing to see what i'd gain .turns out to be around 6 lbs/ft at 1800 ,noice.

phew .lots of runs... 35 in total .. engine stayed cool throughout ,and today i might have a go at economy tuning .. i did an experiment yesterday where i held the car at 75 mph ,and changed throttle opening to replicate cruise vacuum .i did it at 10'' and 5'' hg ,and got 7 bhp and 22 bhp .so that's my range .i plan to vary settings ,and watch injector pulse width ,lower the better for the same bhp .

regards
robert. :-)

bumpstart

Re: dyno testing lpg 1.4 turbo 8 valve

Post by bumpstart »

:D thanks for posting

you may next also wish to log exhaust temps pre turbo to get a better idea for the best mixtures
pushing LPG a little rich under boost yields more power like you have seen
,, but pushing a little further richer may have drastic effects on exhaust temps before you see the downturn in power

same goes for running lean in cruise . there is a lean point where some engines may be making for lots of NOx compounds
and so you tune for an AFR that is also keeping the exhaust temps within a certain window
when the going is hard, don't retard, remember your lubrication

jono

Re: dyno testing lpg 1.4 turbo 8 valve

Post by jono »

Great to see the charts, and to see that richer does not always, if ever, produce best power ! recently reduced my rich levels to high 13s max and feels like my 8 valve, 1800cc boxer NA drives better. My next turbo application deserves a temp probe to make sure I don't crack another turbo :(