Prins reg leak

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
darren

Prins reg leak

Post by darren »

I have a2006 caravan 3.3 with prins vsi
Today when it went to switch to lpg
The engine quit and I heard a hissing under the hood and there was propane vapor leaking out the weep hole on the regulator .any idea what is going on as I am not familiar with prins regs
Thanks

C3H8

Re: Prins reg leak

Post by C3H8 »

Doesn't matter about the brand in this case. All the European or Italian regulators for injection systems typically are single stage regulators. They take tank pressure and reduce it to about 1.5 to 2 bar (20 to 30 PSI) before it sends vapour to the injectors. A leak through the atmospheric vent means the diaphragm that controls the pressure has ruptured or torn and propane is leaking through the diaphragm. The regulator has to be rebuilt. Since you have to open the reg up there is no use replacing the diaphragm only. Put a complete kit in it. Usually the kits are not very expensive. Check with your local distributor of Prins equipment.

darren

Post by darren »

This is not happening all the time
It runs fine most times it has done this just a few times
Is this typical
Thanks

storm

Post by storm »

Diaphragms leak due to old age, contaminants, poor maintenance, etc. The fact that it is leaking like this some times but not all of the time is not, to me, typical. The important thing is you get it repaired as soon as humanly possible.
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

kuchen

Post by kuchen »

Prins regulators are known to be troublesome up to revision E.
If yours is rev. E or older, get a rev. F or newer.
http://www.lpgboard.de/showthread.php?t=1430 (german with pictures, use google translator or similar to understand the descriptions)