Dual x450's with model e's///pics fixed

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
flatblack

Dual x450's with model e's///pics fixed

Post by flatblack »

Here is a few pics of my latest project, its been pieced together. (A little of the past) It started as a 350 .040 over with .220 domed pistons and 12.5:1. I ran vp 105-108 Thru a holley 750 double pumper but it got way too expensive @ 11-13.00 dollars a gallon is crazy. So I picked up one x450 and x-1 gotpropane kit from craigslist and have been running it for the last few years. The single carb worked fine until I had a few problems, switched to a woodward n-420 and it worked pretty good but seemed to be missing some of the top end power. I have been on here from time to time and you guys have helped out a ton. 3 years ago on ebay I found another deal on a new x450 for 200.00 buy it now, it was mine..lol. About a year ago I switched the n-420 to a impco model e with a new filter and lockoff, also put in a orange spring for the x450. Mud racing and mud boggs this truck is used for, I needed more. Then I came across a impco dual carb adapter for 80.00 without the gaskets. I rebuilt the older x450 with new gaskets and orings, also picked up a used model e and rebuilt that. I put in an orange spring in that also. Im running one feed line from the tanks to a filter, to a t then a lockoff on each line. This is mounted on the inner fender. I then made hoses to connect the lockoffs to the model e's, I wanted the least amount of weight hanging off of the carbs... (I didn't really want to do this with all used parts or even with the 450s but other things came up that needed priority.) Both my x450s were on baseplates , so they both have the adapters to bolt to the impco adapter.

So slowly pieced this kit together until I had enough to try it out. Still unsure how it will finally work out. I did find a company that sells the air filter base to run both carbs thru one 14 inch air filter, was made for the 425s but worked perfect. I made a tab that gets bolted to both the carbs and has a stud in the middle for the lid. I screwed the model e's right to the x450s, I used a 2 inch long piece to make them as close as possible. Used threaded rod and bolted the e's together and welded a 1/4 x 1/2 support to it with a tab that bolts to the intake. I did get it running and so far the afr #'s seem pretty good on my digital wideband. I have idle in the 14s, wot goes to the mid 13s and decel goes in the 16s but seems to run perfect and not skip a beat. When it sits for a few days it turns over quite a few time and then fires, using the cable primer on the one model e helps a lot. Over can 3000 you feel the power difference, the pics aren't too good and its a little dirty under the hood. Im in the process of changing the heater hoses to all baraided line. I tried using impco vp v's but it seems to be too rich and not want to start, with them removed it fires up pretty nice. I had to use trans dapt air filter spacers to clear the model e's, I bought an open element air filter lid also. The height gets it up pretty high that it can breathe pretty good thru the cowl hood. Im still in the test and tune stages so we will see what happens. Sorry you have to click on the pics, my photobucket wont work and the pics are too big from my phone. Im trying with the little time I have to get it tuned all in, im going to be removing the sm465( 4 speed) and putting in a turbo 400 with manual valve body as soon as its done at the transmission shop. I picked up a nice floor shifter and an 1800 stall converter, hopefully it all works out in the end.

First: when I just cleaned it up and put it all together, hence the beer box since I didn't want to scratch the table..lol.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/attachment ... 1395093181

Second: the dual filter base, nice aluminum piece

http://coloradok5.com/forums/attachment ... 1395355495

Third: mounted on the 358 with risers

http://coloradok5.com/forums/attachment ... 1395441870

Last: The truck with new 39.5-18.50 boggers

http://coloradok5.com/forums/attachment ... 1394312336
Last edited by flatblack on Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

storm

Re: Dual x450's with model e's

Post by storm »

Can't see the pics unless you are a member of that forum and are logged in. I'm not inclined to join another forum just to see pics.
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

flatblack

Re: Dual x450's with model e's

Post by flatblack »

ok ill fix that shortly, should be good now. Sorry I didn't realize the pics were that way.

Carbs on the adapter, cleaned both carbs and used new gaskets.

Filter adapter base to run 2 carbs in one 14 inch filter

Mounted on the truck, its not nice for any means its a mud truck

Mounted with air cleaner spacers since the models e's are screwed to the side of the carbs. The e's are not connected in the pics, they are mounted now tho. Ill get pics when the rain stops. The e's are turned on their side so they both fit.

storm

Re: Dual x450's with model e's///pics fixed

Post by storm »

Very nice. Is there much of a difference in HP and Torque values when running like this compared to a dedicated twin carb manifold?
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

flatblack

Post by flatblack »

Im actually no sure yet.. I just got it installed and everything buttoned up. Ive been messing with it to get it tuned in. So far so good, it seems to have more power thru the rpm range. It also for some reason idles better at lower rpms....that one I don't understand but ill take it..lol. Its a little harder starting when its cold, prob turns over 10 times if I don't use the primer. Using the primer it turns over about 6 times. The closer I get the afrs to where they should be the hot starts are getting to be a tap of the key. Since I do have vpv's that im not using I might try one on the front carb again to see what happens. So far so good tho, it takes up a lot more space. Gets the air filter real close to the cowl opening in the hood. I have a waterproof prefilter just incase water gets thru.

kikkegek

Post by kikkegek »

cooohoool!

lets see some pics of the truck in total! and some more updates
storage/project: 1974 GMC 25HUNDRED Suburban - fresh rebuild 350 small block - TH350-NP203 - 4.10 gears - IMPCO425 mixer
driver/project: 1977 GMC C15 Suburban - 454 big block - 4L80E- LPG VSI - 3.08 gears
sold: 1986 Chevrolet Suburban K20 Silverado

flatblack

Post by flatblack »

83 chevy silverado 10, 91 gmc suburban front clip, goodmark cowl hood, new rockers, cab corners and floors, 95 chevy stepside bed with toneau cover and roll pan. Painted in krylon italian olive..lol... Since the pics i removed the 39-15-15 tsl's and put on 39-18.50-16.5 boggers. A little about the truck...1985 Dana 60 front axle with 35 spline yukon inners/outers, yukon spool, spicer joints, longfield bushings, warn premium hubs...do run slugs tho most of the time. The rear is a 1974 14 bolt full floater, detroit locker with disc brakes. Both axles have 456 gears in them. The trans currently is an sm465 with a 205 but at the trans shop is a turbo 400 getting all redone with an 1800 stall and a manual valve body. I just picked up a set of 2.5 ton rockwells that are top loaders, debating on pulling the one tons and putting them in. The gear ratio is 6:72 which could make things pretty fun.

kikkegek

Post by kikkegek »

OMG, that frekking awesome.

got any pics of that engine setup?
storage/project: 1974 GMC 25HUNDRED Suburban - fresh rebuild 350 small block - TH350-NP203 - 4.10 gears - IMPCO425 mixer
driver/project: 1977 GMC C15 Suburban - 454 big block - 4L80E- LPG VSI - 3.08 gears

flatblack

Post by flatblack »

I think i have a few more.Ill get them for you tomarrow sometime, i have to send em from my phone to the computer to photobucket...which sucks..lol. Its real dirty tho, the only clean part is the work i just did....so beware..lol. It does run exceptionally good. Cold tho it takes a bit tho to fire, im going to hook up my cable primer tomarrow to see if i can get it to fire sooner. if not im going to order an electric primer for the model e. With a vpv connected its too much gas and wont start at all, without it fires right up. Idles real nice in the 14s on my wideband. The model e's are screwed directly to the carbs with a 2 inch long threaded piece. That was the shortest i could to keep them above the valve cover. At higher rpms its like a new truck, it revs up there so nice and clean....meaning over 6,000.

flatblack

Post by flatblack »

Heres 2 pics,i had it running again today. Fires right up with the pedal 1/2 throttle, when cold i get afr #s in the 13s. After it warms up it idles around 14.6. Seems to run great, its also real peppy..lol. I picked up a new tall air filter with the foam prefilter. Also the one pressure line has a straight fitting, going to change it to a 90.

My turbo 400 is ready to go in, along with the np205. I will be pulling the one ton axles and be putting in a set of 2.5 ton rockwells. As soon as i get all the parts collected to do the swap. My biggest one is building a set of 16.5x12 beadlock wheels to fit the 2.5 tons.

kikkegek

Post by kikkegek »

cool sh1t bro!

gottago

Post by gottago »

Hey looking good flatblack.. Is your engine still the same one you had last year? Same cam? After installing the dual mixer setup, do you feel that change alone has cured most all of what you lacked in upper end power last year? The 2 into one adapter is supposed to flow about 850 cfm if I remember correctly. Some of the guys pushing the limits of one mixer will be interested to hear how this works for you. For straight street use, that adapter could be used and setup with a dual mixer with progressive linkage. Fuel mileage wouldn't even be much worse unless your foot got in the way. Have fun and let us know how it all works out.

flatblack

Post by flatblack »

Yea its the same .040 over 350 12.5:1. It seems to have more power all the way thru. Even off of idle it seems to pick up alot faster, It revs pretty crisp and clear to 6500 plus.I used a 750 double pumper base plate for the adapter, new gaskets, new screws and cleaned the carbs. This won't be on the street too much and soon it will be mud use only unless i do wheel brakes on the 2.5 ton axles. Ill keep you posted on how the dual carbs work. I need to get it to fire faster tho when cold, prob going to remove the cable primer for the electric style.

How would you use progressive linkage with one baseplate..?

storm

Post by storm »

flatblack wrote:How would you use progressive linkage with one baseplate..?
Holley has a kit you can use to make the carb either 1:1 or progressive. Can't remember the part number.

flatblack

Post by flatblack »

Aslong as its all working good ill let it alone, what worked real good was i bolted on both carbs one at a time and tuned them to have about the same afr#'s. Then when both bolted to the adapter the truck fired right up. I tried using impco vpv's and it just floods itself, they are still in the pics but capped off. Im going to remove them and put the plugs back in. I also bought new baraided heater hoses and vacuum hose kit. I plan on cleaning under the hood and making it all look cleaner and not a mess. Im also going to cover all the wires in loom.