Price of propane

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
geraldm

Price of propane

Post by geraldm »

The price of propane in the last 9 days has went from 1.09 per LB. to 1.90 per pound at the local fuel bar . the little bit I will require to run the bike is minimal but it sure stinks for anyone that has a propane DD vehicle . just wondering if other areas are also dealing with the big gouge .
Now how the hell did that happen ?

C3H8

Re: Price of propane

Post by C3H8 »

This is happening all over Canada and the US. It is 100% unfair but the reasoning is simple economics (translate to mean greed). The Northern US, Central and NE and Eastern coast, have had extremely cold weather this year. In addition Canada has been pretty cold. The US basically used up all available inventory and at this point they will pay anything to get more propane. Because of this the Canadian pricing also sky rockets. The rational is simple. If producers can ship propane to the US and get triple the usual price than Canadian distributors have to pay the same or it will be shipped to the US. Neat, eh! We produce the product in Canada and as usual we have to pay the same or even more then the US to buy it and since the US inventories relatively small amounts the past few decades it only takes a slightly colder than average winter to drive the price up.

The good news. The price hike is usually fairly short. In 6 to 8 weeks the inventories will return to normal and the price will drop again. In the meantime the ever declining market for propane vehicles is affected by very negative media convincing loyal users to abandon the practise of converting their fleets.

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

I was just thinking of redoing my dinosaur forklift back to propane ( that is what it was when I bought it . ) Just need kits for the reg and mixer .

Delifisek

Post by Delifisek »

Same in Turkey.

In current market, we pay about 1.3 USD per Litre...

I believe it was most expensive in the world.
Hello. I'm from Turkey. We are using metrics system (km and litre)
Also English not my native language. Thank you for understanding.

storm

Post by storm »

I'm currently paying 95.9 cents/Litre. We produce our own here and sell it to China for 4 cents/Litre but we have to pay the going rate as set by the Singapore market.
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

geraldm

Post by geraldm »

We produce our own also but it makes no difference , the darn stuff comes from right below our feet but of course they would much sooner sell to the USA because of their crisis for twice the going rate because they are a greedy bunch of SOB's. One would think anyone's mother land would support it's people but not so it is actually opposite we pay more than many places where they sell . same with any commodity it seems . hope it won't last long

storm

Post by storm »

geraldm wrote:We produce our own also but it makes no difference , the darn stuff comes from right below our feet but of course they would much sooner sell to the USA because of their crisis for twice the going rate because they are a greedy bunch of SOB's. One would think anyone's mother land would support it's people but not so it is actually opposite we pay more than many places where they sell . same with any commodity it seems . hope it won't last long
That's the price of living in a so called capitalist open market system. They can sell to who ever they want, assuming of course the product is wanted, and charge what they want to. If people are desperate enough they will pay anything. The rich get richer the poor get colder (and poorer).
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

gottago

Post by gottago »

It sucks is all I can say. The price has driven more than a few up my way to take their vehicles off the road recently. It hit $1.15 per liter awhile back out in B.C. Canada which then becomes a pretty inefficient fuel cost wise mpg. I was one of the biggest proponents for continued use of propane in our area despite declining availability of fueling stations and support systems. The clean side benefits to the environment etc only counts so much to most people. Its the cost in the end that counts. Where we once were building and selling propane dedicated performance oriented vehicles that got near 15mpg, times have changed to where that is no longer viable. I am back to researching highest mpg achievable on propane but am seriously considering building for lower compression fast burn performance gasoline applications this year if prices don't drop significantly. If anyone has links to or tips for extreme high mileage on propane, I'd like to hear them.

bumpstart

Post by bumpstart »

the surge is seasonal though this year it is worse than others , currently about 95.5 aus cents per litre whilst 91 RON unleaded is $1.44- $1.48 per litre

usually in our winter ( hot season in northern hemisphere ) the price slips back to be around half that of the 91 unleaded

as such the normalised price should be around 72- 74 cents

im still getting very good economy as mine runs closer to lambda on LPG than it can with petrol ( turbo rotary ) , and with petrol this engine would typically demand the 98 RON

im using 17 L LPG highway and around 22 L LPG on city cycles per 100 km

..or around $20 per 100 km , mixed use,, when the price is at its worst
//
that same $20 would buy me 13.8 L of 91 RON octane petrol .. or 12.5 L of 98 RON octane ...

and your average mildy worked rx7 turbo of similar HP would use 15- 17 L of 98 RON petrol over that same 100 km
( but idle and cruise around 13:1 , and demand 11:1 under boost )

so , im still in front , with pricing at its worst .. and my engine would pass ( has passed ) a 5 gas test applicable for much newer cars,, without the cat
( whilst your average mildy worked petrol rx7 has next to no chance at passing its original spec gas test , cat and precat included )
when the going is hard, don't retard, remember your lubrication

DODGEN1

Post by DODGEN1 »

anywhere from $3.50 to $4.50+ per gallon

gottago

Post by gottago »

Surprisingly, just 2.53 / gallon in Phoenix Arizona. Todays price...