Need help to repair my old Disney dbl dkr bus

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
lump

Need help to repair my old Disney dbl dkr bus

Post by lump »

Hello. I've joined this forum because I own an unusual vehicle, which is powered by propane...and now I need to do some repairs and upgrades.

My vehicle is a double-decker bus which was made for Disney World in Florida. It is made to look like a 19-teens era tour bus from places like Yellowstone park. It was originally used at Disney World to transport visitors up and down Main Street USA during the day, and as a float in the Main Street Electrical Parade each evening. It was also used at Epcot Center to haul visitors around that great big lake. (Don't seem to have a photo of the bus here at home. I'll find one and post it to this thread tomorrow).

Anyway, I use the bus at our antique car swap meet 2 or 3 times per year, giving our visitors rides. But now I need to replace fuel lines, and need guidance from someone with experience.

About a year ago, it developed a fuel leak in one of the flexible lines, so I drove it to my propane dealer's garage, where their mechanics fixed it for me. But the bus has two tanks, one on each side. And now the other side is leaking badly, and the bus is stuck at the fairgrounds...far away from my propane dealer. I decided to go up there and remove the leaking lines myself, and get new ones made. This seemed to be easy enough, since I knew exactly where my leak was. But when I crawled under the bus and looked at the tank, I was totally lost on what to do. I'm used to propane tanks like you have on a gas barbeque grill. If you get a leak, you just shut the valve, and all is well. But this bus tank has FOUR openings, but only one valve. And of course, the hose that I most need to change goes directly to a port with no valve on it. (See photoI had to turn this photo sideways to post it.)

So now my question: If I remove that hose (the one which goes into the port with the round metal tag behind it, "When liquid appears...etc") will all the propane come blasting out at me? :?: The tank valve was shut by the driver when he found the leak...but I don't know if that stopped the leak, or if the propane is probably all gone now anyway.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. I must move this bus soon, before the county fair. Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_20130619_160322_side.JPG

C3H8

Re: Need help to repair my old Disney dbl dkr bus

Post by C3H8 »

Sounds like an interesting vehicle. Your tank has 4 openings on it. Using your picture in the current configuration I will list there purpose.

Safety first.. Wear long sleeves, rubber gloves and safety glasses when working with the hoses. It would be a good idea to use Type 3 hoses as replacements. A company called Gann sells them in California. Your local propane supplier can likely access them from Gann. I'm not sure if they sell to the public. Type 3 hoses are premade so the length and size must be specified.

1. Size is #4. Top hose (spit hose or liquid fill indicator) with the metal tag. This is the hose to indicate when the tank is full when filling it. It is routed to a small valve beside your fill location. If you remove this hose it will permit vapour to flow all the time until the tank is empty in most cases. Looking at the picture, I can't be sure, but you appear to have the style of spit valve that can be shut off. The knob is knurled. You can close this and then bleed your spit hose and replace it. You may have to use pliers gently to start it turning. By the way, if the tank is empty you can check by opening the spit (bleed) valve beside the fill valve. If it hisses loudly there is still a substantial amount of fuel in the tank.

2. Size is #8. Large hose with the square block is your fill hose. The square block with the 4 bolts is called a "Brown stop fill valve" and is supposed to automatically shut off the filling of the tank at the 80% level. This valve has a back check valve. This hose is routed to a fill valve where you fill the bus. If you loosen the hose it should empty the hose in a very short time (about 10 to 15 seconds, depends on the length of hose). It may spit liquid so make sure your wear rubber gloves and safety glasses. Any fuel in the tank should remain in the tank.

3. Size is #6. The hose with the shut off valve supplies the engine. Shut off the valve tightly and crack the fittings to allow the fuel to escape. Same rule on the gloves and glasses. When you turn the valve back on do a leak test with soap and water. Turn the valve on slowly so the excess flow internal in the valve does not shut off.

4. This is just a vent hose for the pressure relief valve. It will go to a poppet valve on the side of the bus or an opening on the side. There won't be any fuel in it and even if there was a small hole in this hose it would not matter.

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

Quick note. I just read your post again and realized you said Disney in Florida, not Cal. You will have to ask your supplier how to get type 3 hoses. I am sure they are readily available in your area somewhere as they have been required by code for several years now.

lump

Post by lump »

Thanks for help so far. It is MUCH needed. I cannot risk getting hurt with this thing, yet I cannot afford to just throw tons of money at it. The bus is located in Ohio, by the way.

Right now I am about to drive from my office in Ohio to visit my client in Gainsville, GA. I will follow up further on this project when I return later this week.

Following is a photo of the bus, which I keep here in my office files.
Attachments
Side view dbl dkr bus
Side view dbl dkr bus