technocarb setup questions

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
deutzman

technocarb setup questions

Post by deutzman »

ok so i was at a swapmeet and picked up a complete techno carb setup the guy said he had it on his mud truck and worked great i was looking over the wireing for the controller and noticed that it didnt have a wire for throttle position sensor just one for the tach reading and o2 readings but it talks about using a tps in the install guide so how did it work if it didnt know the throttle position does it just run rich so when u hit the gas it dont bog out or wat cuz if it didnt wouldnt it instantly go lean when u hit the pedal because it dont know ur hitin the gas and need more fuel :?: any help would be awesome thanks

storm

Re: technocarb setup questions

Post by storm »

It is near impossible to get information for these things from anyone but the manufacturer or local suppliers. I asked here a while back.
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

I cannot state it as a fact with TC, but there have been several feedback systems designed by other manufacturers that do not use the TPS. There are even a few that do not use a tach signal The logic is straight forward. Most venturri systems tend to richen quickly off idle. On electronically controlled systems the power valve is usually opened wider at idle due to the weaker vacuum signal with the slow air flow. When you begin to accelerate the signal strengthens and fuel is quickly drawn into the engine as a rich condition. The O2 sees this and the computer commands the power valve to close to bring the mixtures back to stoich or as commonly referred to this is a feedback system.. A TPS connection is typically used as a feed forward command. In systems that require this, the TPS signals the computer to momentarily open the power valve, due to a change in accelerator pedal movement. The computer then reverts to the O2 signal to change mixture. Each of these functions can assist in driveability, however there main function is to improve emissions. Since the main control for emissions was the O2 sensor some manufacturers chose not to include a TPS signal unless driveability was an issue.

Depending on the rest of your Technocarb system it is possible it may not require a TPS connection. The other issue you may need to face is most Technocarb systems need a special diagnostic tool to set them up. If the system came off the exact vehicle you are installing it on it may work fine. If it came off a different vehicle you may need this special tool.

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

Unless you have the 4bbl off-road carb kit, Technocarb kits that used the EFS600 controller were model and application specific. Can you post a photo of the label on the back of the controller or email it to me along with specifics about the vehicle you want to mount it on?

C3H8 is correct about the diagnostic tool (TC210 Scan Tool) that is required to set up these systems. EFS600 systems (along with the Scan Tool) are now obsolete so setting up your used system will be more of challenge. Scan Tools can often be borrowed/rented from shops that installed these systems.

deutzman

Post by deutzman »

techno carb.jpeg
techno carb.jpeg (5.14 KiB) Viewed 7692 times
techno carb 2.jpeg
techno carb 2.jpeg (7.41 KiB) Viewed 7692 times

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

You have an older version of the offroad 4bbl carb kit that was featured in Off Road Magazine. It is a feedback system that uses an O2 sensor and RPM inputs but does not require a TPS. You will need to bolt the mixer to a throttle plate assembly. Since you already have TC210 Scan Tool, you should have no problems doing the initial setup.

Offroad 4bbl Carb Schematic
EFS600 Manual

storm

Post by storm »

@ Frank, do you have other downloads available on these things? Iasked for information a little while ago but only one person replied.
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

I thought that since you didn't end up buying the system in the other topic, there was no longer a need for that information.

What kind of information do you need? In the other topic, you mentioned that the system you were bidding on used a Landi-Renzo converter. I believe this is a TorqeGas system and they would better be able to help you.

storm

Post by storm »

I would like any information I can get so I can make an informed descision if one of these things ever comes up at a good price again. I find it interesting that for a period of 8 days, between my initial post and the last post in that topic which was my second post, no one thought of offering information when at least some people do have it available.

Mr Torquegas doesn't have a very good customer relations reputation from what I have seen and heard around the traps. I don't feel like being told by a guy in another state (10 hours drive from here) that I have to get the car to him so he can set it up for me.
Last edited by storm on Thu May 09, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deutzman

Post by deutzman »

ok sweet so if i bolt this to a holley throttle asembly and put it together i set it up with the scan tool i read through the set up is it as staright forward as it sounds and it bein the off road one does that mean it runs richer than stoich or is it reasonably fuel efficent?

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

Since it maintains a stoichiometric fuel mixture, it should be reasonably fuel-efficient.

Don't forget to optimize the centrifugal and vacuum advance for optimum power and efficiency.