vapor injection on Chevy 60

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
patooyee

vapor injection on Chevy 60

Post by patooyee »

I am thinking about converting a 6.0 gas engine to propane. I have various reasons which are long, drawn out, and boring. I have HPTuners, lots of fab skills and tools, experience with both propane and EFI. I DO NOT want a multi-fuel setup, I want dedicate propane only. I do not want liquid injection because it requires all the same basic complexity that gasoline has. (pump, return line, regulator, etc.) That leaves me with vapor injection. I don't want an aftermarket black box. I want to run my stock ECM and tune as needed. The main obstacle I've run into is injectors. I think vapor injectors have to be BIG, which means they are all low impedance. This isn't a huge issue as the stock ecm can run low impedance injectors using a resistor box. But am I correct in assuming that all vapor injectors will be low impedance? I haven't seen any to date that are high impedance. Also, what is a good resource for not only tech specs on the injectors but also to buy them, preferably in the US? (I live in Florida.)

Thanks for any help ...

C3H8

Re: vapor injection on Chevy 60

Post by C3H8 »

I like your idea. We ran injection systems in the 90's on vapour directly off the tank as an experiment. We used the OEM computer and some aftermarket injectors manufactured by Bosch at that time.

We ran the system on a 1997 Dodge Intrepid with a 3.5L engine. Being in central Canada this limited our time as we had to run higher pressures to run it off the OEM ECU. WE had to maintain a pressure of about 75 to 100 PSI. The vehicle ran very well as long as our temps stayed above 50 F. Below that the pressures dropped too low for the ECU to compensate. We were surprised at how well it ran. On a one time test I ran the vehicle up to its top cut out speed on gasoline to find out what the cutout was. This vehicle ran at 184 KPH before cutting out. I then ran the same test on LPG and the cutout was the same 184 KPH. As long as the temperature stayed warm I was able to run the vehicle with out any check engine lights.

In Florida you may not have that issue. You will need a fairly large tank though. You need a pretty large surface area to keep up with vapourization. You also need to consider your local regulations when purchasing equipment such as the injectors and any other pressure items along with having to deal with EPA regulations.

We did additional testing with government approval on some aftermarket vapourizers drawing liquid but the tank pressure was still an issue when temperatures dropped. We also tried heating the tank with various devices which allowed us to run down to sub freezing temps. This was just as we expected. Pumps would have been required to run in our colder winter temps.

Shortly after this injection systems started to show up. Designing our own system along with the cost of testing ended the program.

C3H8

Re: vapor injection on Chevy 60

Post by C3H8 »

http://translate.google.com/translate?c ... pair=pl|en

This European site shows a variety of injectors for LPG. Might be of interest to you.