Propane on direct injection engines?

Propane, Butane, LPG, GPL, C3H8, C4H10
regraham

Propane on direct injection engines?

Post by regraham »

Many of the new vehicles, including the upcoming 2014 GM pickups are utilizing direct injection(gasoline) as well as cylinder de-activation. Will it be possible to convert these engines to operate on propane with either a vapour or liquid fuel injection system? Are there systems available now that will work (here in Canada)?
I assume the gasoline injectors are in the combustion chamber on a direct injection engine. When shut off and the engine running on propane would the gasoline injectors survive the harsh environment with no cooling coming from the injection of gasoline?
I currently drive a 2007 GM Denali pickup with 6.2L engine, equipped with an ECO/Prinz vapour injection system. It works great but I am starting to think about updating and wondering what my options will be.

C3H8

Re: Propane on direct injection engines?

Post by C3H8 »

Several of the vapour injection systems are already preparing for direct injection. Software to program a direct injection has been included with the BRC kits for some time, however, as far as I am aware no one had tried it until recently. We are told that BRC is already converting Direct Injection on smaller engines in Europe. I would expect these are the smaller 2.0L or less engines. They do so be making the propane system port injection, the same as we currently do. The injectors are still installed externally and routed to a nozzle just before the intake valve. The software uses the direct injection parameters and converts it so the propane can be used as a sequential port system. Recent discussions with IMPCO indicate they are just beginning to test the BRC system on American V8's. They say they expect the system to work well with only minimal loss of power or economy. I expect they will also test the system on engines like the Ford V6 turbo. As soon as we know more I will post it.

franz

Post by franz »

Several major European manufacturers offer a direct LPG injection package. Vialle was possibly the first. ICOM and others are there too. I am personally aware of one project at a major US research facility that is currently underway which will use the original high pressure pump and injectors with switching valves to control the fuel. The engineers there are world class and really know their stuff and are no stranger to propane. I do have some questions about lubricity but they think it wont be an issue. We'll see.

Franz

GermainPilon

Post by GermainPilon »

I think Icom's high-pressure direct-injection process unfolds at approximately 180 bar (2611 psi) vs. the seven to eight bar (101 to 116 psi) of a normal liquid propane injection process.

for more info you can log on to: www.propanedeal.com