1967 Chevelle

Tell us what you have on the go!
bcwaller

1967 Chevelle

Post by bcwaller »

I have been considering turning my car into a dual fuel (propane/gasoline) car for a while. It seems as if the government does not want us to do it, as they don't seem to approve anything before 1994. I figured I would stop by here and see what others are doing and get ideas for trying the setup on my own.

I don't really like the idea of scrapping the old gas tank and everything else, but I also understand that everything is more complex when making a dual fuel setup. I do have a ton of room in the trunk, but I would have to figure out a way to seal it from the passenger compartment if the tank(s) are there.

I really don't drive all that much (about 2,000 miles a year), but with the cost of gas it might start to make sense. Any idea what the cost of motor fuel propane is in Southern California?

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

Welcome to the board! Sealing the fuel tank is not an issue. Trunk-mounted fuel tanks are commonly equipped with vapor seal boxes:

I have another topic with more photos:

viewtopic.php?t=278

Frank

bcwaller

Post by bcwaller »

Cool. That is good to know. Now I guess I will have to check out your area on tanks to see what is available and what might fit. I have a file folder from ten or more years ago when I first looked into this, but I bet a lot of the companies are not around or in the same place.

What are people doing now? Is the usual way still an IMPCO based system, or are there new and better ways to set up a carbureted car? The Chevelle has a mild performance 350, with about 10:1 compression, World S/R heads, and a cam biased for low end torque.

You car see pictures and more about the car here
http://epage.com/brad/Chevelle/