Hi from toronto

We want to know about you and what's new with you.
Grin

Hi from toronto

Post by Grin »

I just found these boards while doing some net research on how i am going to convert my latest vehicle i just got.

1993 chev dually 3500 454 4x4

from what i have seen it looks like i am going to go old school 425 and try to find a super fix 1-gm or similar. i want dual fuel for sure.

i started my installation career in 1987 when i got hired as an apprentice at ICG propane, stayed with them till they closed all there installer shops.

after that i bummed around the rest of the 90's as a system administrator for a small local toronto isp.

then got back into the propane installer field for almost 5 years at a west end toronto shop doing mostly cabs and airline limos, crown vic and town cars with the odd company wanting a truck converted with technocarb.

i left that gig for a close to home regular shop, the drive to the airport was killing me:)

I went back to the west end shop to help out for a week, had a 2008 truck that needed a vapor inj system, i have always been good at wiring this kind of thing and doing my best to make it look good and not a hack job, but i have no desire or patience to do it anymore, my hands don't work like they used to and find it more and more difficult to work with this many splices into a factory harness, so i have ended my installer career:(

i was always the guy to get the tough wire jobs/problems, if it was under a dash i got the job to fix it.

all that being said, i of course still love propane and want all my future cars/trucks to run it:) especially a 454 big block when gas is $1.25l

so, anyone in ontario have a big tank that mounts on the bedrails with the fill valve on the side above the rail mount? :D

Mattelderca

Post by Mattelderca »

Welcome to the group! Nice to have another pro on board. When ya find your tank how about finding me a cheap crown vic trunk mount tank? I am in Whitby and I am also working on a big block, a Chrysler 400. Same old school 425, model E, and Vff30 setup. Just need a cheap tank. You don't want injection on your truck? Frank the site owner can hook ya up with the parts! Cheers man,
Matt

Frank
Site Admin

Welcome to the board!

Post by Frank »

Used propane tanks can sometimes be a bit hard to find. TSSA now requires tanks to meet CSA B51 Annex G so used compliant tanks may be even harder to find. As far as I know, only Sleegers makes Annex G compliant tanks and these can often take several weeks to deliver. With the demise of Dual Curve, you might have to wait for a suitable Super Fix box to come up for sale on eBay.

Grin

Post by Grin »

Mattelderca wrote:Welcome to the group! Nice to have another pro on board. When ya find your tank how about finding me a cheap crown vic trunk mount tank? I am in Whitby and I am also working on a big block, a Chrysler 400. Same old school 425, model E, and Vff30 setup. Just need a cheap tank. You don't want injection on your truck? Frank the site owner can hook ya up with the parts! Cheers man,
Matt
the problem with crown vic tanks used is, these guys when they retire a car, they almost always transfer what ever they can to save money to there new car, the biggest expense i think is the tank:) i will be heading out to where i used to work to see if i can get a 425, about the only thing i am missing to convert my truck. next to the super fix.

give me what you call cheap and if he has one i will throw it in the back of the truck, and i will more then likely be visiting a friend in oshawa soon anyways, so would be no prob to meet up.

as for the inj setup, i would love that, but looking into it, truck is a tbi, 2 inj, most of the kits i see or have installed want to grab the inj pulse from a full sequential oem computer, then there is the cost factor, i already have a E converter, electric lock off, lines. so my cost with what i got is what ever i get charged for a used 425 and adapter to mount to the tbi.
Last edited by Grin on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grin

Re: Welcome to the board!

Post by Grin »

Frank wrote:Used propane tanks can sometimes be a bit hard to find. TSSA now requires tanks to meet CSA B51 Annex G so used compliant tanks may be even harder to find. As far as I know, only Sleegers makes Annex G compliant tanks and these can often take several weeks to deliver. With the demise of Dual Curve, you might have to wait for a suitable Super Fix box to come up for sale on eBay.
i was not aware of this, i don't want to promote doing it wrong, but i trust my own installs and rarely ever have anyone look at the window.. but, i also want to be legal.

so i called sleegers, they don't have what i want pre made, so looks like it will be a custom job, at a price of around 1k, ouch..