Old guy #2

We want to know about you and what's new with you.
C3H8

Old guy #2

Post by C3H8 »

Like Frans I have been active on this web site for a long time but neglected to post a bio. I Have been in this business for 27 years now. I'm currently semi retired. I provide technical assistance to Proquip Sales Inc. customers.

I started in technical 27 years ago, did some sales, was National Tech rep for a company called ICG Propane, the largest in Canada before it was sold. I was GM of the Alternate Fuels Div. for RNG. In 2000 I partnered with a friend to provide kits and components as an IMPCO and Vialle distributor.

During my time with these companies I have traveled all over NA and also to Holland. As stated earlier I now work solely on technical issues for Proquip. I test and train on LPG Injection systems we supply and provide the backup tech support. I am proud to say that for an old guy I am very conversant on the new computerized systems. Most of this is self taught with initial training from manufacturers of the systems.

I currently run a 2000 GMC 6.0L on the IMPCO BRC system. I pull a 28.5 foot 5th wheel with it with a the complete package of the truck and trailer weighing in at about 15,000 lbs. I also am working on a 1969 GMC 910 with a 350. Nothing Fancy. It uses IMPCO with a model E and a 425. I would like to get it back to really good condition. I don't want it to be show quality as I like to drive it.

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

I'm currently semi retired.
No such bloody thing..retirement is doing what u want to do...so if you want to work at something u like potering with...u are still retired

Those who dont do so, quickly run out of jobs around th home, become coach potatoes and die, menally , physically or both.

Semi retired is working part time ay something one is sick of...like me ..Im part time IT now...
I am proud to say that for an old guy I am very conversant on the new computerized systems.
Im not I look at the engine close the hood, walk away, Im sick of computers programing and networking...a 100% self induced mental block outside of work...

I have used many of your old posts and contibutions to this community...
Havnt posted in them, but take the opportunty to to say thank you here
I often post opinions and look forward to your comments on the dissucussion...my critisum is I get the feeling you are often being more polite than than you would like...m8 I would prefer your thoughts on the subject to be more blunt ...I dont take ofence when ppl of experiance and knowledge and I respect point my opinions in the right direction

Cheers
Steps
My Spelling is Not Incorrect...It's 'Creative'

Mattelderca

Post by Mattelderca »

I have used many of your old posts and contibutions to this community...
Havnt posted in them, but take the opportunty to to say thank you here
I often post opinions and look forward to your comments on the dissucussion...my critisum is I get the feeling you are often being more polite than than you would like...m8 I would prefer your thoughts on the subject to be more blunt ...I dont take ofence when ppl of experiance and knowledge and I respect point my opinions in the right direction
Ditto!
Thanks to both of you!

Scott

Post by Scott »

What are the specs of that 350?

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

Nothing to fancy right now. When I bought it the woman said her husband (passed away) had boosted the power a little. It sounds really good but I don't think it is anything dramatic. Floor it and will break the tires on the 1 to second shift. The tranny is a modified turbo 350. Rear end is supposed to be 411's. It gets such great mileage though I wonder about that. I, haven't checked yet. We took it to the strip at Gimli one day and tried it out. It does the quarter in 17.3 at about 78 MPH. From this I figure the previous owner did not do very much to the engine when he rebuilt it. I want to do a little more to it and also do some partial restoration yet. It is pretty rust free but the bed has the wooden floor and could use some work. The seat also needs to be replaced or reupholstered. Going to see if I can get some real time to spend on it this year.

C3H8

Truck

Post by C3H8 »

By the way steptoe. Your pretty well on the mark. After tip toeing around customers for 27 years and trying not to offend them it is difficult to change. Maybe I'll try to change a little just for you. It might be refreshing to tell someone to wake up and smell the coffee one day. I do appreciate the bluntness of some of the guys on the site.

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

In NZ all we have is the remains of impco manual and a couple installers who install and wacj\k the intial up.
Everything I have done over the last 20 odd yrs from cam profiles to time gas beed...I wonder what happens if....
It wasnt till I found you guys, yhings like trying different weight springs in the 436 was a waste of time....crap I have wasted a heap of time in the last 20yrs lol

For an ameture I know Im preety good at what I do...eg a m8 asked me to tune and setup his stock car without a dyno...(petrol) he took out rookie of the yr and placed in the top 3 of the North Island Champs, Sth Island Champs and the nationals...I never went to a meeting to see him race lol
To be good one hast to listen, read, watch with an open mind
It might be refreshing to tell someone to wake up and smell the coffee one day.
No m8 thats not how its done...my grandmother said ...never isult anyone personal..and its a rule in our house hold so " you are stupid for doing that" is a no no but "that was a stupid think to do" is ok
And "Dipomacy is for people with personal agendas, Blunt is for those who put the subject 1st. and cant be bothered with wasting time"
I do appreciate the bluntness of some of the guys on the site.
Once one rrealises they just want to get on with the job, nothing is personal or politics, they are not realy grumpy people, they just dont suffer fools easy...Dont blame others when things go wrong...just a simple "crap I screwed that up huh?" then fix it, or othen fix, know one knows it went wrong but freely admitt a screw up afterwards ..they are real good to get on with and often make the best and most loyal of freinds.
There is a big difference between Freinds and good aquantances, 'drinking buddies'
My Spelling is Not Incorrect...It's 'Creative'