Workshop Construction

We want to know about you and what's new with you.
Frank
Site Admin

Workshop Construction

Post by Frank »

There never seems to be enough room for all your stuff no matter how much room you already have. Even though we already have a 3 car garage attached to the house, I still need some more space to store the other cars, tractors, lawn mowers, etc. and have a proper workshop. Since we have a 24 acre property, we have enough room for a good size workshop. Last fall, I poured the foundations for a new workshop and this fall I want to put up a roof so the cars and tractors can be sheltered over the winter.

We started putting up the walls on November 16.

The trusses arrived today (November 25) and we will start putting them up once the weather clears.
Last edited by Frank on Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank
Site Admin

Construction's done for the winter

Post by Frank »

Walls are ready for the roof trusses.

Halfway done getting the trusses in place.

Finally, the plywood is on the roof. At least we have a bit of shelter now.

We got the tar paper on the roof on Saturday, December 18th. Good thing too because temperature dropped from around freezing to -17°C with some flurries on Sunday. I can't believe the luck we had with the weather up until now. With just a little more luck, we might have a chance to put up some doors to keep the snow out later on in this winter.

I'll move the cars inside once I've done some cleaning up.

phantomshafter

new shop

Post by phantomshafter »

Your new shop looks great. One of the smartest things I did when I built mine was to put in a grease pit. It is incredibly handy to be able to walk around under your car without worrying about jacks, etc. The surrounding soil makes it cool in the summer and warm (at least in Washington) in the winter.

Frank
Site Admin

Progress to April 2006

Post by Frank »

We got the roof up last summer and installed 4 skylights while we were at it. The soffits went up in the fall to keep the snow from blowing through the eves. My son will be disappointed when the windows and siding go up because it makes a great backstop for his soccer ball:

It didn't take long to fill it up with cars and junk. I've got some spring cleaning to do soon:

You know you live in the country when you have to sit down to mow your lawn. I've got 24 acres of old farmland that I'm trying to reforest. I've been doing some treeplanting and most of the trees I've planted are still alive. It's hard to tell from this photo but my property goes back to the treeline on the horizon.

Melvin

Re: new shop

Post by Melvin »

phantomshafter wrote:Your new shop looks great. One of the smartest things I did when I built mine was to put in a grease pit. It is incredibly handy to be able to walk around under your car without worrying about jacks, etc. The surrounding soil makes it cool in the summer and warm (at least in Washington) in the winter.
Check your insurance before proceeding though, some companies won't insure a place with a grease pit. You wouldn't want to have your shop burn down and then find out you have no coverage.